Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Still more Butternut Burley/5 Brothers in the Viscount pot
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Prince Albert in a Filto, hold the filter. This pipe is a good smoke.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Big-n-Burley in a Grabow Riviera pot

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'm smoking PA in the Filto again. I had wiped out the bowl with some PGA even though it was unsmoked. I don't know what old Bob Smith of Burgaw, NC used to coat the inside of those bowls but this one had a lot of it. There is that break in taste but I know that will be gone after another bowl.

Dr. Grabow bought Filto from Bob Smith sometime around 1975 and produced them for a few years. [mention]ted[/mention] might have a story, then again, he might not. I remember him saying once that a two year contract for Bill Smith, Bob's son, was a part of the deal.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

OJK in an Eldorado pot

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

No pipes at all yesterday. Today I had the "day off" , but just managed to get onto the porch now. I've got a generous portion of Ries Three Star Banner in my Lorenzo Savona 803. I'd call it an Oom Paul, I think. Not really sure what I'm tasting here. Reminds me a bit of a Captain Black something or other. Iced tea on the side. Happy afternoon pipes, all!

*edit* Nope...not an Oom Paul. It's a bent egg. Looks like this...only mine is darker.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
ted
Broken Pipe

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm I'm smoking PA in the Filto again. I had wiped out the bowl with some PGA even though it was unsmoked. I don't know what old Bob Smith of Burgaw, NC used to coat the inside of those bowls but this one had a lot of it. There is that break in taste but I know that will be gone after another bowl.

Dr. Grabow bought Filto from Bob Smith sometime around 1975 and produced them for a few years. @ted might have a story, then again, he might not. I remember him saying once that a two year contract for Bill Smith, Bob's son, was a part of the deal.
You 'nailed it' KK. We bought Filto for a couple of reasons. It got rid of a competitor (regardless of their size) and thought the pipe might fit in a consumer catalogue we were working on.
Yes, It came with Bobs son Bill. He just didn't add much to Grabow and when the agreement expired we asked him to leave. Died shortly after.

Best I remember we paid $10,000 (+ Bill) for everything including parts, briar, work in process and their mailing list. Ultimately just gave it all back to Mr. Bob.. ted
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

ted wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm I'm smoking PA in the Filto again. I had wiped out the bowl with some PGA even though it was unsmoked. I don't know what old Bob Smith of Burgaw, NC used to coat the inside of those bowls but this one had a lot of it. There is that break in taste but I know that will be gone after another bowl.

Dr. Grabow bought Filto from Bob Smith sometime around 1975 and produced them for a few years. @ted might have a story, then again, he might not. I remember him saying once that a two year contract for Bill Smith, Bob's son, was a part of the deal.
You 'nailed it' KK. We bought Filto for a couple of reasons. It got rid of a competitor (regardless of their size) and thought the pipe might fit in a consumer catalogue we were working on.
Yes, It came with Bobs son Bill. He just didn't add much to Grabow and when the agreement expired we asked him to leave. Died shortly after.

Best I remember we paid $10,000 (+ Bill) for everything including parts, briar, work in process and their mailing list. Ultimately just gave it all back to Mr. Bob.. ted
This one I got smokes good, even if it's pre-Grabow! But...it ain't no Grand Duke, for sure. Gotta have my briar Grabows, man.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!