Latest Tobacco Purchase 2018

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I got this yesterday for breaking in my NOS Filto and 07. It's still hard to beat good old PA.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Maynard wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:16 pm A couple of oz of Crooner, I haven’t smoked any of it yet I just keep looking at it. Lol.
I'm a big fan of C&D and their deer tongue blends but I'm not the world's biggest fan of crooner. I smoke it, but I enjoy their other 3 DT blends more
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Maynard

Well l had a bowl of Crooner, not bad, really kinda liked it. I'll check out other DT blends from C&D.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Maynard wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 pm Well l had a bowl of Crooner, not bad, really kinda liked it. I'll check out other DT blends from C&D.
I tried Crooner back a few years ago, and the deer tongue & I didn't hit it off. I was disappointed. How cool would it be to smoke Bing Crosby's blend? 8-)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Legion

Here in Aus. tobacco prices are outrageous - $75 for a 50g tin (2oz) - as I'm on a limited income it certainly puts a strain on the budget.

My tobacconist has a small range so I've been smoking Erinmore mixture & Dr Pats Irish mixture for several years since ditching the ciggies.
They're both on the moist side so I mix in some Borkum Riff Whiskey to get the right moisture consistency.

Much to my delight, I recently found a post on Reddit where an Aussie was discussing importing baccy from overseas. Following a link to 4noggins, I was astounded at the prices of tobacco in the U.S.

Treating my first order as a trial run to get through customs, I ordered the cheapest 'light' product, a 16oz bag of Windsail Premium Pipe Tobacco for $20 (plus $25 postage & handling)
It was my intention to mix it with my other tobacco but found that it's actually not a bad smoke by itself. I've noticed that I'm not smoking as much as usual. I could be wrong but the Windsail seems to contain less additives than the above tobaccos.

Last night I made an order for 16oz of Sutliff Buttered Rum with the intention to experiment mixing it with the Windsail. Fingers crossed that it will also get through customs.

One thing that I've noticed; since smoking the Windsail, the inside of my bottom lip is irritated just a little (Not sore in any way, just something that I can feel with my tongue) When I first started back on a pipe several years ago my lip experienced the same thing but settled in time.
Is anyone able to tell me if this new irritation is caused by switching to a new type of tobacco?
JBRiner

Found an 8 oz bag of Estorica’s Pembroke at a nice B&M I stumbled across while on the road. I have a little on hand, but I sure am glad I was able to find more somewhat local. It’s one of my favorite aromatics. It basically Margate with a conac topping. Now that I have more, I will rprobably dip into my jars of it a bit more often!
Adwyth
SnowCap

Well, well. Looky what showed up with the mail today!
It’s not the kill, it’s the thrill of the chase!
steamboat

Just got a tin of King Charles in the mail, not going to crack it open till cooler weather. I am hoping its not a clone of Margate, was let down with Exotica from this years Smokers Haven drop.
It was a great blend, but it was basically Margate, and i did not need it, considering i have an 8oz bag of it.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

SnowCap wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm Image
Nice. Sextant is one of my favorites
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Legion

SnowCap wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm Image
Very nice.

You guys in the States are so fortunate. Guesstimating that lot to be around 18 ounces worth of baccy, it would cost $750 here.

Fingers crossed that my tobacco orders get through ............ touch wood.