Sutliff 208 Apple

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Sutliff 208 Apple

I purchased a pouch of this from TobaccoPipes a few weeks back. My hope was it would be a match to Middleton's Apple. WVSmokeShop sells it as such, but Sutliff, as far as I can tell, doesn't make that claim. P&C sells Sutliff Apple, without the 208 nomenclature, but the description is the same, so I expect the tobacco is as well.

[mention]MikeDennison[/mention] is it a match? Maybe? The original made no mention of cavendish in the blend as this does, just burley and virginia, but virginia can be a cavendish so...? As far as the look and cut, it looks similar to the original as far as I can recall. It's been a long while since I had the original.

As for flavor, I get a tad bit more apple than the original at the start of the bowl. Like Middleton's Cherry Blend, which is a "non cherry, cherry blend," Middleton's Apple was for me a non apple, apple blend. So, the tab bit more apple was nice here in the Sutliff blend. It doesn't last long and things get fairly "match blend" after that. I think this is more forgiving than the original as regards bite etc.

At the end of the day, I like it and like Middleton's Apple, I'll keep a pouch or two around. If you liked the original, like I did, you should try it. It's darn close to being a match, maybe even better.

Bonus Bad Review!

Sutliff SPS-3 Cherry Tobacco.

By bad review, I mean my ability to review. I don't have the palate some have, but like art, I know what I like.

I think this is Sutliff's Cherry Blend match, under another name for use by TobaccoPipes. I say this because they also have a Sutliff bulk called Sugar Bucket which I'm sure is their sorry attempt at a Sugar Barrel match. The same sorry stuff P&C pushes as Sweet Cask. My apologies to any fans of Sweet Cask, but it's no bueno.

All that said, I think the SPS-3 is their cherry blend match, which is the same as Mid-Town Cherry. [mention]Ruffinogold[/mention] has already mentioned and reviewed these matches and so have I. The cut is not the same as the original. There is a tad bit more cherry than the original, but like the apple review above, it quickly fades. The original had more baking spice qualities to it and they are present here, but not as pronounced.

At the end of the day, if you liked Middleton's Cherry Blend and you liked getting it in a pouch, this is the ticket. I miss the original, but this, the match and Mid-Town Cherry fit the bill for me. Not the same, but close enough. What other choice do I have?

One thing I really miss? The cut of the original! So easy ro fill and light!! Again, [mention]Ruffinogold[/mention] has discussed this previously and he's spot on. Did I ever mention he's to blame for my Cherry Blend addiction?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Good reviews Wildcat. Like you, I know what I like and what I don't. I fpund the old cherry blend to be just tolerable. Don't remember much about the apple except it was not for me. I tried some Cult Blood Red Moon a while back and here is a very short review based solely on my taste alone. Take the liquid from a jar of marachino cherries and drink it. Pretty much capture the essence of the blend for me.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sounds good Frank...I might need to get a pound or so.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Wildcat wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:44 am Sutliff 208 Apple

I purchased a pouch of this from TobaccoPipes a few weeks back. My hope was it would be a match to Middleton's Apple. WVSmokeShop sells it as such, but Sutliff, as far as I can tell, doesn't make that claim. P&C sells Sutliff Apple, without the 208 nomenclature, but the description is the same, so I expect the tobacco is as well.

At the end of the day, I like it and like Middleton's Apple, I'll keep a pouch or two around. If you liked the original, like I did, you should try it. It's darn close to being a match, maybe even better.

OK, Frank, you old enabler, I got some Sutliff Apple on the way!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

@MikeDennison is it a match? Maybe? The original made no mention of cavendish in the blend as this does, just burley and virginia, but virginia can be a cavendish so...? As far as the look and cut, it looks similar to the original as far as I can recall. It's been a long while since I had the original.

As for flavor, I get a tad bit more apple than the original at the start of the bowl. Like Middleton's Cherry Blend, which is a "non cherry, cherry blend," Middleton's Apple was for me a non apple, apple blend. So, the tab bit more apple was nice here in the Sutliff blend. It doesn't last long and things get fairly "match blend" after that. I think this is more forgiving than the original as regards bite etc.

Bonus Bad Review!

Sutliff SPS-3 Cherry Tobacco.

By bad review, I mean my ability to review. I don't have the palate some have, but like art, I know what I like.

I think this is Sutliff's Cherry Blend match, under another name for use by TobaccoPipes. I say this because they also have a Sutliff bulk called Sugar Bucket which I'm sure is their sorry attempt at a Sugar Barrel match. The same sorry stuff P&C pushes as Sweet Cask. My apologies to any fans of Sweet Cask, but it's no bueno.

All that said, I think the SPS-3 is their cherry blend match, which is the same as Mid-Town Cherry. @Ruffinogold has already mentioned and reviewed these matches and so have I. The cut is not the same as the original. There is a tad bit more cherry than the original, but like the apple review above, it quickly fades. The original had more baking spice qualities to it and they are present here, but not as pronounced.

At the end of the day, if you liked Middleton's Cherry Blend and you liked getting it in a pouch, this is the ticket. I miss the original, but this, the match and Mid-Town Cherry fit the bill for me. Not the same, but close enough. What other choice do I have?

One thing I really miss? The cut of the original! So easy ro fill and light!! Again, @Ruffinogold has discussed this previously and he's spot on. Did I ever mention he's to blame for my Cherry Blend addiction?
I will have to try the " Apple Match " next . Yes , the original Apple was a cavendish , it was steamed for sure . Think of it in the mindset of the sutliff private stock blends that were in number a few years ago . other than a half dozen , they were all cavendish based in the least , and most all cavendish . Often times when they would mention a blend containing Burley , virginia etc ... and of course it contained that but mostly in cavendish form . as an example , my wife truly loved the Golden Age blend , which was a " match " to the Dunhill Elizabethan that had been gone for a year when Murrays quit making Dunhill for whatever reason I forget now . Anyway , it was basically a cavendish base [ of burley and virginia cavendish ]along with a bit of perique and probably a touch of " regular burley and virginia , but not much . Man , Jennifer really loved hat stuff and she still has half a jelly sized mason jar of it . It didnt get good reviews , if I recall , because it was a cavendish base unlike teh original . On its own , it was pretty damn neat

Ive smoke the Sugar Barrel match .. it aint a match . I dont think there will ever be blends like what Middleton created ever again . Their flavor profile , especially in regards to what they did with Burley was amazing . Id love to see the facility where they made that stuff if it still exists

Really , at some point [ I swear ] , im going to Altria and getting together with someone about these gone blends . Id really enjoy writing a semi short concise history of the Middleton company and blends . It is a bucket list item and so far I only have two , visiting the Vatican is the other , if anyone were curious .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:47 pm

OK, Frank, you old enabler, I got some Sutliff Apple on the way!
Then my work here is done!
Seriously, I'm curious to hear what you think and look forward to your thoughts.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:07 pm Really , at some point [ I swear ] , im going to Altria and getting together with someone about these gone blends . Id really enjoy writing a semi short concise history of the Middleton company and blends . It is a bucket list item and so far I only have two , visiting the Vatican is the other , if anyone were curious .
Similar but different, 2 bucket list items for me would be to go to Derby Connecticut and find/explore where the old printing press plant of Charlton comics was or is, if it's still standing. Also I want to visit Ireland and the Isle of Man, ride a motorcycle along the TT course and watch the TT.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:05 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:07 pm Really , at some point [ I swear ] , im going to Altria and getting together with someone about these gone blends . Id really enjoy writing a semi short concise history of the Middleton company and blends . It is a bucket list item and so far I only have two , visiting the Vatican is the other , if anyone were curious .
Similar but different, 2 bucket list items for me would be to go to Derby Connecticut and find/explore where the old printing press plant of Charlton comics was or is, if it's still standing. Also I want to visit Ireland and the Isle of Man, ride a motorcycle along the TT course and watch the TT.
Wait A MINUTE .. your bucket list is sounding better than mine . Maybe Ill go riding with you :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:35 pm Wait A MINUTE .. your bucket list is sounding better than mine . Maybe Ill go riding with you :thumbs:
Sounds good! Say hello to Dottie
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

If it isn't Middleton Apple, I will never smoke apple tobacco again.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.