Battle of the Avatars!!!!

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I'm just futzing around here but, let me tell you, every time I see Norman Fell's smiling mug at the beginning of a post, that mugging for the camera look affects my interpretation of what I'm reading. You know how it is. It happens to you, too, I'm sure.

I have nothing against the great actor Norman Fell. Far from it. I have nothing but respect for the man. He was great in Ocean's 11. From all the evidence I've seen, he was a good father.

All of that said, I was wondering, if we had to show our true colors, who we really are in our avatars, what would they look like. I know how I think of @Bruyere_Royale even when I'm looking at Norman Fell. In my mind, BR will always look like this:

A velvet smoking cap with a sateen tassel paired with a flannel shirt, looking into the future and seeing how good it is going to be.

Then we have this joker:

I don't particularly like it when a PSF member changes his or her avatar all the time so that I don't know who I'm talking to, but, I also don't like an avatar that is totally wacky.

I like Felix the Cat and @Wildcat has kept his avatar long enough that I've just gotten used to it. If Wildcat changed it, I would get all discombobulated reading a thread----"Who is this again?" @Ruffinogold rarely changes his avatar, if he ever has. Why bother? I like @fingall 's avatar, and I like @Jlando19 's, too. I think J. Lando is a paramedic, so it makes sense. I know he is in school. @ncrobb , who I always think of as NR Cobb, for no good reason since I am not dyslexic, keeps his A.A. Milne bear, and, I like that, too. Familiarity breeds respect. I am used to @Kevin Keith 's rotation of avatars enough so that I know who he is and what mood he is in based on the avatar he presents----pay attention and you'll see for yourself. When KK looks like Dave Berg, expect every post from him to come up roses. My favorite avatar, which has never changed since I've known the guy, is @mrpipster's.

I am not going to share my thoughts about everyone's avatars. There are too many and I have other things to think about. These are just the ones that came to the top of my head while I was writing this post. I do not obsess about these things, it's just that looking at Norman Fell several times every evening for two weeks has set me off. I can't take it anymore! If I left anyone off the list above, it isn't because I don't take note of your avatar. I have to run is because Mrs. B. is calling me for supper. We're having split pea soup tonight, one of my favorite things to eat. I've got to finish up this Finck cigar and get inside to put on the feedbag and put some meat on my bones.

I never used to change my avatar but I have yet to find the perfect Citizen B avatar. That's why I've been changing it up every few weeks. I don't like to change my avatar often, or my signature line, because I don't think it is polite, like changing wigs in the middle of a dinner party.

I'm just talking. Filling the time between things to do, and, I do have things to do after supper. This post is that kind of middle-of-midnight thought that goes through your head when you can't fall asleep and you hope that when you open your eyes you won't find yourself waking up next to Norman Fell. That hasn't happened to me yet and I hope it never does----but still I have to see that trademarked Fell grin every single day when I log on PSF! Again, I have great respect for Mr. Fell, but, I don't want to see him every single day, especially when most days it is more than once.

Please feel free to share your avatar thoughts. Why you have chosen yours, why you might change it. I am sure we would all love to see a picture of your dream avatar here if you don't have the guts to make it official in your profile. My avatar right now is a picture of me, warts and all. If I didn't have a conscience, it would be this:

---Well, I guess that's enough of me rambling on about avatars. I have to go have my supper. I am taking too long. Mrs. B. is calling again.

Have a good night.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

I haven't changed my avatar since I started on the pipe forums about 10 years ago, except for a week just to see if anyone noticed.
I miss Ruffinogold'Golden mask.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 pm I haven't changed my avatar since I started on the pipe forums about 10 years ago, except for a week just to see if anyone noticed.
Doesn't Ruff still have that Alexander the Great gold mask? I think so.

No offense, but I always think you are microcephalic because of your tiny dog head avatar. I know you're a normal man on the outside because I have seen a photo of you smoking a pipe that you posted here, but, when I saw that photo I realized that I always expected your head would be smaller. I think I said that in a comment. We hashed it out and it was all good. Don't change. It is a pleasure to know you.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:53 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 pm I haven't changed my avatar since I started on the pipe forums about 10 years ago, except for a week just to see if anyone noticed.

No offense, but I always think you are microcephalic because of your tiny dog head avatar. I know you're a normal man on the outside because I have seen a photo of you smoking a pipe that you posted here, but, when I saw that photo I realized that I always expected your head would be smaller. I think I said that in a comment. We hashed it out and it was all good. Don't change. It is a pleasure to know you.
He's using a gold bust now.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:53 pm

He's using a gold bust now.
I haven't noticed and I looked at it before I wrote the above. Are you sure? :lurk:

It's conversations like this that make new people sign up for PSF. Welcome aboard folks!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

:lol: Fez and flannel.
I just got home from work and my new hat arrived.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 pm I miss Ruffinogold'Golden mask.
Me too!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

While hunger is the best sauce, variety is the best spice. I do like to switch 'em up. I had Dave Berg forever on 1.0, but then I started sending in relievers. Grand Poobahs and Old Timey Texas Rangers are my favorites.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Riff89

ImageImage
Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:04 pm While hunger is the best sauce, variety is the best spice. I do like to switch 'em up. I had Dave Berg forever on 1.0, but then I started sending in relievers. Grand Poobahs and Old Timey Texas Rangers are my favorites.
What about this Texas ranger!? He’s getting pretty old these days.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

First you need to fix that mask. Its not centered. I dont change my avatar because I dont know how. I should learn how someday.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche