Who Played the Part Better?

Paul Lynde
82%
Dom DeLuise
18%

Total votes: 11
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Dr. Dudley was the Munster's family doctor. Dr. Dudley is featured in four episodes (5.71% of the 70 episodes). The character was played in three of those episodes by Paul Lynde, and by Dom DeLuise in the fourth. It don’t get any funnier than these two guys, but going head to head, who played it better?

There may be a dozen of the regulars here that are old enough to have been original Munster fans but thanks to streaming, etc., everyone surely has seen at least a few episodes of this classic sitcom. BTW, Dom is great, but I’m a Paul Lynde fan in this role. Yessir, this is gonna be a whiz-bang thread! Lol

ImageImage
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:03 am Dr. Dudley was the Munster's family doctor. Dr. Dudley is featured in four episodes (5.71% of the 70 episodes). The character was played in three of those episodes by Paul Lynde, and by Dom DeLuise in the fourth. It don’t get any funnier than these two guys, but going head to head, who played it better?

There may be a dozen of the regulars here that are old enough to have been original Munster fans but thanks to streaming, etc., everyone surely has seen at least a few episodes of this classic sitcom. BTW, Dom is great, but I’m a Paul Lynde fan in this role. Yessir, this is gonna be a whiz-bang thread! Lol

ImageImage
You lit the fire and I'm going to add some wood to keep it going!

I will always vote in favor of Paul Lynde. I like Dom DeLuise, but Paul Lynde had his schtick and he would nail it every role he played. Dom DeLuise was more versatile, able to play various variations of lovable fat men while Lynde could only do one thing----be as over the top as he could be.

Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly. They were cut from the same cloth, stage actors who preened and pranced around but they worked hard to prove that they had talent and they were funny. Dom DeLuise had connections.

Dom DeLuise also had more range. I grant that it wasn't much more, but it was more. Imagine Dom DeLouise in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir---it would be a total gas but it would be totally different. Imagine Paul Lynde in the Ghost and Mrs. Muir----It would be a different flavor of the same thing.

Both actors were themselves and they gave their all, but, I cannot imagine Paul Lynde in a Mel Brooks movie. That said, I can imagine Dom DeLuise playing Templeton in that Charlotte's Web cartoon. Man, DeLuise as Templeton would have been a savory performance.

Of the two, in this role as Dr. Dudley, I prefer Lynde, even though DeLuise is a close runner-up. I'm a big Paul Lynde fan. I always have been and I always will be. I don't care about the guy's tragic personal life. I judge him by the quality of his performances.

If Charles Nelson Reilly, Mr. Pipe Smoker Extraordinaire, had played Dr. Dudley, The Munsters would probably still be on the air today. The world would be a better place.

My favorite Dom DeLuise film is Fatso, directed by Mel Brooks' wife, I think. He's supposed to be super-fat in the movie but, nowadays, no one would even notice. Dom DeLuise never reached Orson Welles proportions.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I knew I could count on you, CB! Excellent analysis! And I agree with every word.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I'm a huge fan of The Munsters and The Adam's Family. Dom DeLuise is hilarious and he was great along side Burt Reynolds but Dr. Dudley is Paul Lynde.
The Troll Whisperer
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I saw Dom DeLuise in an opera. No lie.

He played one of the characters in an Opera Pacific production of "Die Fledermaus."

He didn't sing, which is probably a good thing. He did however, deliver a few well placed one liners.

DF is a comic opera to begin with, but DD's presence put it over the top. The whole theater was howling.

My sides hurt.

That doesn't usually happen at an opera...
ever forward
Tsal
Forum Decorum

arturo7 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:53 pm I saw Dom DeLuise in an opera. No lie.

He played one of the characters in an Opera Pacific production of "Die Fledermaus."

He didn't sing, which is probably a good thing. He did however, deliver a few well placed one liners.

DF is a comic opera to begin with, but DD's presence put it over the top. The whole theater was howling.

My sides hurt.

That doesn't usually happen at an opera...
You may have missed the question/poll. Which Dr. Dudley do you prefer from the TV series The Munsters?
The Troll Whisperer
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:21 pm You may have missed the question/poll. Which Dr. Dudley do you prefer from the TV series The Munsters?
Didn't miss it. Just didn't answer it. I don't have a strong opinion either way.
ever forward
Tsal
Forum Decorum

arturo7 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:49 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:21 pm You may have missed the question/poll. Which Dr. Dudley do you prefer from the TV series The Munsters?
Didn't miss it. Just didn't answer it. I don't have a strong opinion either way.
Party pooper.
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Dom DeLuise is a long shot unless he rallies pretty quickly. Anyone want to put money on DeLuise?

Dr. Willard Willoghby was the other prominent physician in the Munster-verse. I thought he was played by Floyd the Barber, but I misremembered. He was played by Dale Allen, who you might know better as the voice of Deputy Dawg.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0020436/
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Citizen B wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm Dom DeLuise is a long shot unless he rallies pretty quickly. Anyone want to put money on DeLuise?

Dr. Willard Willoghby was the other prominent physician in the Munster-verse. I thought he was played by Floyd the Barber, but I misremembered. He was played by Dale Allen, who you might know better as the voice of Deputy Dawg.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0020436/
I did. I cant stand Paul Lynde.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche