Football/Soccer folk?

avid

AndreRitter wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 am Never heard of them.
me either
insufferable filter guy
AndreRitter

Seems the mighty Chels' are hosting the little known Manchester United this evening.
:uh:
sisyphus
Person of Interest

as an American I find football to be too far away from what I am used to in sport. Not as bad as cricket though, sheesh watch a cricket game and see if you can decipher what the rules are. Good luck.

I do enjoy international play and always watch the World Cup, Copa America and Copa de Oro. That is excellent football, but I just don't have the patience for any of the professional leagues. I will on occasion watch a Mexican league game, the competition is pretty good in Liga MX.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
avid

for that matter i've heard brits say they thought baseball was boring
insufferable filter guy
sisyphus
Person of Interest

avid wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:51 am for that matter i've heard brits say they thought baseball was boring
I think it comes down to what you were raised with. Soccer and baseball are similar in that there are long periods of tedium punctuated with edge of the seat moments of excitement. Both baseball and soccer are beautiful in that you watch scoring plays develop, each moment a crossroads where action or luck could swing the outcome to either end of the pendulum. A handful of skillful and lucky moments terminate in a score or denial. There is drama in scoring in both sports that surpasses other sports IMO. Hockey is still my game and the only sport I am comfortable watching almost daily for 9 months out of the year.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
AndreRitter

sisyphus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 am as an American I find football to be too far away from what I am used to in sport. Not as bad as cricket though, sheesh watch a cricket game and see if you can decipher what the rules are. Good luck.

I do enjoy international play and always watch the World Cup, Copa America and Copa de Oro. That is excellent football, but I just don't have the patience for any of the professional leagues. I will on occasion watch a Mexican league game, the competition is pretty good in Liga MX.
I must admit that when I first watched cricket I didn't have a clue what was going on.
Most of it is pretty simple though. Take fielding positions for example, the simplest of these being silly point which is so named because you stand a good chance of taking the ball in your face.
:uh:
bjk87

always preferred cricket