Solani Silver Flake

sisyphus
Person of Interest

it took 10 years of smoking it, but this has become one of my very favorites.

Everyone is familiar with RL Will's Solani Aged Burley Flake. No doubt it's good, but I attribute its success to a bunch of non-Burley smokers who tried it and found they liked Burley. It is not represented in my cellar. The last time I sent something to Pipestud to sell I think I sent him all of my ABF tins and we both profited from my initial investment.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with ABF and it's a good smoke. I just think there is more interesting fare for the man who truly appreciates Burley.

Mr. Will's Solani Silver Flake took a long time to grow on me. Initially I wasn't wowed because it didn't possess the sweetness I appreciate in my Va flakes. It's more of a savory affair.

Today my opinion of Silver Flake is sky high. I think it's the best use of Kentucky in a blend I've ever smoked. I actually somehow ended up cellaring quite a lot of tobacco with Kentucky in it, although I never went looking to do so for Kentucky's sake alone. I think I enjoy vitamin N, and I enjoy the earthy counterpoint Kentucky gives when paired with sweeter leaf.

Solani Silver flake is a flake of Red Virginia and Kentucky. I remember it arriving gold and hay-like, looking more like Dan Tordenskjold or C&D Opening Night. After a couple years in storage it's gotten really dark and more resembles a flake from GH or Rattray's Marlin Flake.

In the bowl we get Red Virginia that is not as sweet and tangy as McClelland, but the acidic twang and tartness are there, if subdued. There is a bread-y, almost graham cracker body to the smoke. The Kentucky is always there, providing strength, body, a savory counterpoint, but never ever running away with the blend. The graham cracker sweetness and the counterpoint from the Kentucky endure through the bowl. It's really marvelous and whether by luck or design Mr. Will hit exactly the right ratio of these two leafs in this blend.

It's a Va flake unlike any other. It's a change of pace for someone who smokes a lot of Va. I can see this being a desirable tobacco for those who aren't enamored of Va blends as well. It's sort of a Burley man's Va flake, and perhaps that's why I find it so impressive.

Hard to get. Takes a while before you might grasp what it has to offer. So so worth it, I highly recommend it.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lovely write up :}

Lets face it , Kentucky [ Red ] burley is what God smokes . Im completely with you on the ABF , btw .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Silver Flake is great stuff. Smoked a heap or few of it.