Let’s Build Something..........

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:28 pm There is a Taylor auditorium upstairs in a closet. I should drag it out and play it but it pales in comparison to my Guild acoustics. My opinion anyway.

I used to really dig the company I work for 20 years ago. The last 3-5 have been a struggle. I’m ready to get out.
Guilds are amazing . The Guild CD1 .. I think it came out 10 years ago [ ? ] was the most incredible acoustic Ive played . Theyre my favorites , the American ones , and that CD1 was explosive . If I were a Blue Grass player , Id be all over it . It was 2k when I played it and I didnt have the money . Walked away saying daaaammmnnn :)

I dont know how many acoustics I have but my Yamaha Jumbo is my favorite . I think the high end Yamahas are some of the best . I really like the Martin ooo 15m .. its unique and wonderful

Hey man , we should make a trip to Dream Guitars !! They have all the custom killer stellar cosmic stuff ..

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/instr ... itars.html
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 pm
ncrobb wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:28 pm There is a Taylor auditorium upstairs in a closet. I should drag it out and play it but it pales in comparison to my Guild acoustics. My opinion anyway.

I used to really dig the company I work for 20 years ago. The last 3-5 have been a struggle. I’m ready to get out.
Guilds are amazing . The Guild CD1 .. I think it came out 10 years ago [ ? ] was the most incredible acoustic Ive played . Theyre my favorites , the American ones , and that CD1 was explosive . If I were a Blue Grass player , Id be all over it . It was 2k when I played it and I didnt have the money . Walked away saying daaaammmnnn :)

I dont know how many acoustics I have but my Yamaha Jumbo is my favorite . I think the high end Yamahas are some of the best . I really like the Martin ooo 15m .. its unique and wonderful

Hey man , we should make a trip to Dream Guitars !! They have all the custom killer stellar cosmic stuff ..

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/instr ... itars.html
Good Grief. I couldn’t afford the cost to park my truck at that place!! I saw one ad that was for $8750 and all your were buying was a build slot in 2025 from somebody that must be the man.

I have two Guild acoustics. One is a 1973 D35 and I love everything about it. It’s soundboard has turned Amber and the lacquer has started to check. The bone nut and saddle are tan with age. The neck plays smooth but the original Grover tuners are worn. It sounds warm and amazing. I had a 1991 D30 that was blonde. I played her until she needed to be refretted. At that point my sensible engineering background kicked in and said “the cost of a refret and neck level plus what you paid for it originally will put you over what it’s worth” so I sold it at the Spartanburg Guitar show on 2/28/09. What a dumb move. I immediately regretted it. A dealer I know from Southport had a bunch of Guilds and Dave was gracious enough to let me play them all and the D35 was the standout. So she came home with me and has been my acoustic ever since. But she isn’t fancy with pearl inlays like the D30 was. And she isn’t loud like the maple bowl back. So I started looking for another D30 but this time it had to be a sun burst. Now D30s themselves are few and far between and other than in old advertisements and for sale ads I’ve only seen one sun burst D30. And it’s mine. I got it from a gentleman who lived in Asheville. He posted it on Craigslist and we were in the process of moving to TN so I couldn’t make time to stop. Once everything got settled I was sure he had sold it but when I called the number from the old ad he said he still had it. That was Jan 2017 I believe. I stopped by his place and played it for bit and it was just like my old D30, loud and proud but a 1998 sun burst with better frets. I normally haggle a little but that day I just paid him. It’s funny though. The D30 is as awesome as I dreamed but the D35 has an old soul and I play it 10 times more often.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ok, back on track. I got a little done this week on the lap steel. I went back and forth on what finish to use, polyurethane or tung oil. I like the soft warm tung oil finish but for overall durability the poly won out. So I put on 4 coats allowing each 5-6 hrs of dry time before sanding with 400 grit and applying the next coat.

I am using the Golden Age tuners from StewMac. I’ve had good luck with these in the past. I install them and snug up the retaining collar. Then I use a straight edge to align them from the back side. An awl makes the hole to start the little screw in and some paste wax goes a long way in getting the screw in with minimal effort this first time. It’s important to use the appropriate tool. The correct size Phillips tip and wrench make it easy and limit uh-ohs. Once the screws are set I tighten the collars from the front side.

I ran the brass nut up through 15 micron grinding belts and polished it mirror shiny but it was over the top with the gloss poly so it went back to the 15 micron belt for a satin finish.

The little details can make big differences. I gave the pick up cavity and the hole for the output jack a couple of coats of black conductive paint. This will help ground everything and help reduce the inherent 60 cycle hum you can get from single coil pickups.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:13 pm Ok, back on track. I got a little done this week on the lap steel. I went back and forth on what finish to use, polyurethane or tung oil. I like the soft warm tung oil finish but for overall durability the poly won out. So I put on 4 coats allowing each 5-6 hrs of dry time before sanding with 400 grit and applying the next coat.

I am using the Golden Age tuners from StewMac. I’ve had good luck with these in the past. I install them and snug up the retaining collar. Then I use a straight edge to align them from the back side. An awl makes the hole to start the little screw in and some paste wax goes a long way in getting the screw in with minimal effort this first time. It’s important to use the appropriate tool. The correct size Phillips tip and wrench make it easy and limit uh-ohs. Once the screws are set I tighten the collars from the front side.

I ran the brass nut up through 15 micron grinding belts and polished it mirror shiny but it was over the top with the gloss poly so it went back to the 15 micron belt for a satin finish.

The little details can make big differences. I gave the pick up cavity and the hole for the output jack a couple of coats of black conductive paint. This will help ground everything and help reduce the inherent 60 cycle hum you can get from single coil pickups.

Details details details. Very nice!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Dude. 🤯
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:13 pm Ok, back on track. I got a little done this week on the lap steel. I went back and forth on what finish to use, polyurethane or tung oil. I like the soft warm tung oil finish but for overall durability the poly won out. So I put on 4 coats allowing each 5-6 hrs of dry time before sanding with 400 grit and applying the next coat.

I'm expecting a demo video when this is all wrapped up and plugged in.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:47 pm I'm expecting a demo video when this is all wrapped up and plugged in.
Me too, got anybody in mind? Where’s Wildcrow when you need him?
Ronv69
Founding Member

Sweet!
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

All right, let’s wrap this up.

Details are important. Ground the bridge. It only takes a little effort but the strings won’t pop every time you touch them and it may keep you from getting shocked. You don’t want to be the ground circuit. I soldered a length of wire to the pickup plate which also has the shielding wire soldered to it. Then the wire gets tucked between the bridge and the area of the body previously painted with conductive paint. The 8.15 Ohms written on the plate is the resistance of the pickup in 1000s of Ohms. It’s an indicator of how “hot” (output level) it is. This is pretty typical for a Tele bridge.

Next I soldered the output jack to the pickup wiring; it goes ground to the sleeve and positive to the tip. Use good parts, the jack is Switchcraft. Then two screws hold the mounting plate to the body.

Ok, I cheated. I ordered a vinyl decal for the fretboard. I know, I know. But this whole project is just to see if I could build a lap steel and learn to play it. So I trimmed the width to 2.5”, centered it up and applied it to the body.

Not knowing how the vinyl “fretboard” would hold up I cut a piece of plexiglass and attached it over the decal with 6 small screws.

I thought I had a set of 12 or 13 gauge strings but ended up using a set of D’Addario 11’s to string it up. Once they were on, I set the action height at the bridge to match the nut so they are parallel to the body and made sure the top of the strings were all at the same height to get good contact across them with the slide.

Setting the intonation is as basic as postioning the saddles 22.5” from the back of the nut as that is the scale length. Theoretically, you don’t have to do much more than that since it’s a slide guitar and the correct pitch is all about where you position the slide; but after stretching the strings and tuning it to open D, I went ahead and did some fine tuning to get the intonation dialed in as close as I could. This is done by adjusting the saddles back and forth effectively lengthening or shortening the string length to counteract sharpe or flat.

So that’s it. The little lap steel came out pretty nice. I tried to make some noise but tuned to open D the strings feel slinky. I’ll try a couple different tunings and see if I can learn a song. If I still lived in TN I’d take to down to @Ruffinogold and let him show me the ropes.

rekamepip
Codger in Training

:awesome:
Yep take it down to @Ruffinogold and have fun with it
If nothing else you can drink his alcohol and smoke his tobacco and probably shoot some targets out in the woods