Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir walter Raleigh Aromatic

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I know many pipe smokers have had both of these blends at least 100 times or more . Im writing this for new pipe smokers because they are OTC blends that are easily found .

These two blends are extremely different . Ive seen comments in the past where someone bought one of them an expected the other to be the same blend with either no flavouring or flavouring . It aint the case

The SWR Regular is a burley blend with the super lightest touch of a sweetener , just enough for it not to taste " raw " . Im not sure what types of burley are in there , though I can guess theres a little bit of Kentucky Red in there but mainly medium and lighter burley .... but who knows , I dont

The Cut : Really , its like little " pluggish " chunks but not like a cube cute , much less condensed .. like a lazy cube cut [ ? ] . Theres also random small pieces in there . If I knew where my phone was , I'd take a picture . To fill a pipe with SWR ... gravity fill , give a slight tamp and fill again [ maybe ] .. then a slight tamp . You’ll have to determine what a slight tamp is ... its not a lot is the only way I can describe it . Maybe like if you had to touch your own eye ball , God forbid .. lol

The pouches seem to come in different humidity levels depending on how long it sits on a shelf , so it can be very very dry , which it shouldngt be , or hav a little bit of moisture , which it should have . Ive found that any OTC thats available in a tub is always at perfect condition but a tub cost some bucks and if youre just trying it you probably snag a pouch . If its crunchy dry , its too dry and needs a little humidification . If it has just a little give , its good to go . I buy pouches because where I buy them at seems to move pretty quick .

The flavor of SWR is what I call standard Burley . It isnt refined to an elegant point [ and I mean that in a manly way , like Wessex Burley slice ] but isnt unrefined to where it tastes like some Red Burley old school Kentucky Twist plug . If youre a new pipe smoker , ya probably dont know what the heck I was just talking about . So , its a medium bodied burley flavor with some spikes of Medium + when you start to get down .

Ive had / have SWR from many decades . Its basically the same throughout the 7 decades of blends Ive tried . Like all burley tobacco , it gets darker over time and mellows some but retains its original flavor

You'll read people saying that its best in a cob ..I love it in a cob , maybe not because its better than in a briar , because I smoke it in both , but I just dig the simplicity of it and the two go together somehow ... kinda like tomato , basil and mozzarella

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

This blend is so not the regular swr . Its a diverse blend of Burly and virginia with a Medium + flavouring added . I get a chocolate / rum type flavour but don’t listen to me because I completely suck at distinguishing aromatic flavours unless its labelled on the package

The cut is near opposite of the regular . Its more like a ribbon with some shorter pieces . The colours range from medium to lighter .

The great , and I mean really really great thing about this blend is two things .......

1. Its one of the most brainless easy to light and keep lit blends devised by the hand of man ... period

2. Chicks really dig the aroma . It is a chick magnet

Its also unique in a couple ways and its kind of a big deal ..

1. Though an otc aromatic , its not a black cavendish styled aromatic

2. And this is HUGE .... it has a good hit of nicotine . For many aromatics , nicotine is usually low and sometimes doeesnt even exist .... not this sucker !

SWRA is a super fantastic blend ! Its in a class of it own and is so unique that there isnt one to compare it to thats ral similar

That said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ... like any aromatic , if you dig the flavouring , youlll at least have a chance of enjoying the blend . If you hate the flavoring , then there is no chance of enjoyment

This blend seems to have a love it or hate it reaction many times , though thre are middle ground folks of course .

Anyway , I think both thes blends are worth a try . If you live in a state that isnt insane , theyre pretty cheap as otc . If you live in an insane state , buy it online
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Billy Joe

Good descriptions, Mayor. I really dig the SWRA; the SWR is just ok. But if you want to vary your cellar a bit, these are two very distinct and reliable blends. Easy to get and won't break the bank.
I just love the pouch smell of SWRA, you think they make it as a cologne??
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Billy Joe wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:27 am Good descriptions, Mayor. I really dig the SWRA; the SWR is just ok. But if you want to vary your cellar a bit, these are two very distinct and reliable blends. Easy to get and won't break the bank.
I just love the pouch smell of SWRA, you think they make it as a cologne??
If they made it in a cologne ..... us married guys would be in trouble ! That kind of temptation we dont need .... might be fun though ... lol
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I like SWR and am convinced that if it became unavailable it would be much lamented in pipe forums and we'd all wish we had a few tubs put back.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
sisyphus
Person of Interest

and your description of SWRA makes me want to try a pouch. I like aros that are Burley based and aren't really aros. Milan Jefferson Street is really good, as is Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
jk1300

Agree on SWRA...big fan of it. SWR misses the mark for me...falls short .
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

sisyphus wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:52 am and your description of SWRA makes me want to try a pouch. I like aros that are Burley based and aren't really aros. Milan Jefferson Street is really good, as is Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut.
I dont think SWRA can be equated to Deluxe Crumb ,which is maybe one of the best blends in the world imo .. Its not that kind of burley and it does have a good bit of Virginia in it .Its really an oddity because its pretty much the ribbon cut that bulk aro are in but processed a bit differently somehow because it retains . I just don’t want you to think its gonna have a burley forward flavor because it doesn’t ... its an aro , just different than all th othrs ...its kinda hard topin point .

But get some ... if ya hate it I;; trade ya for it :D
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

SWRA is really good. I like SWR too, but when I have them both open, I am more likely to reach for the SWRA.

Just for fun sometime, try mixing SWRA and OJK. I do more or less similar quantities by volume. It gives it a little more muscle, and the roomnote/flavor are still there - although not so dominant.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MarineDad
Founding Member

SWRA is my go-to blend and my wife loves it! Win, win for me😀
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

MarineDad wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 pm SWRA is my go-to blend and my wife loves it! Win, win for me😀
Hard to argue with that...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017