Founding Member

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:14 am
Whalehead King wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 pm
Living in New Orleans, I don't think my tobacco is too dry. My house is 3 whopping feet above sea level, so I don't think there is a lack of oxygen due to altitude.

I'm not Dr. Who. I'm just a simple-headed, rocking-on-this-heels, happy-go-lucky, ne'er-do-well, whistling-past-the-graveyard man-about-New Orleans. I'm no Dr. Who. I am Whalehead King. The space/time continuum doesn't usually feature in the plots of my small scale adventures around town.

I think it's all in my head. Except, maybe, it isn't. Nothing has obviously changed in my routine but something has obviously changed in how long my pipes last me. I'm not being conspiratorial. This is just an observation, not something measured in a controlled laboratory environment. A pipe should last me over an hour---1:15-1:45 (I pack tightly). I'm averaging about 50 minutes.

I don't have an explanation. I don't even have a theory to test. All I know is that I'm getting tired of cleaning my pipes between smokes as often as I have been recently. Maybe it's a sign that aliens will coming out of a wormhole in the sky above my neighborhood soon. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting older and more absent-minded. We'll see.

If the aliens do show up, I'll be ready to use my powers to help the heroes:

So this all boils down to you getting tired of the 30 seconds it takes running a pipe cleaner through the shank. Lol
It's about the pipe being done too quickly. I baby my pipes and it takes me 5 minutes to clean the pipe and pack a new bowl in it. Every job is worth being done right. Or, finding another pipe to give the current one a rest, which takes longer. And then,, I have to decide should I smoke a different blend of tobacco after three fast bowls of Panama Jack Key Lime? I love Key Lime but maybe for bowl #4, I should go all high hat with a bowl of Nightcap. Hmmmm....that's a 20 minute decision-making process.

I hate to be interrupted so I would rather smoke a General than a YP Pug. My trusty YB Pug smoked fast, anyway, being a wee pipe. It smokes even faster nowadays!
Yeah, your definitely a fast walker! Lol... Kudos on the Nightcap although I haven't smoked it in years ... those wee pipes are meant to be smoked fast anyways so I say your on par across the boards.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 4):
avidMaynardMikeDennisonSerenity
Tsal... 🎳 A Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Maynard
Member in Good Standing

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:38 am

I have always had issues with things happening to fast.
This post by Maynard liked by (total 7):
MikeDennisonSerenityWhalehead KingavidArmycw2Bro UhahaRonv69
Armycw2

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Back in the late 70s when I first started up with pipes the old codgers in Mirror Lake Park in St Pete told me if you think you are smoking too fast you probably are.
This post by Armycw2 liked by (total 5):
avidBro UhahaFr_TomRonv69MikeDennison
“If you can't send money, send tobacco.” GEN George Washington
Bro Uhaha

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Maynard wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:38 am
I have always had issues with things happening to fast.
Better than not happening at all. They say having control of your piping is psychological.
This post by Bro Uhaha liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomRonv69MikeDennison
'Ahab could discover no sign in the sea.' -Melville
Ronv69
Founding Member

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:28 pm

When you ask "am I smoking too fast", the answer is always yes.
This post by Ronv69 liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMaynardMikeDennison
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Check the cake . Just yesterday I got the feeling my calabresi work pipe . It wasn't lasting so long ... or at least shorter than usual. The thing is caked up a good bit and needs reaming . It's probably 30 percent caked
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
Ronv69MikeDennison
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "