Those bristly pipe cleaners

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bro Uhaha wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:37 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 pm
Bro Uhaha wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Will I be denounced if people find out I only use my middle finger for tamping? In my defense, I am an entirely self-taught piper. :D
And I bet you drink your whiskey neat, too.
No, I usually dilute with something around 40% water when I do drink whiskey, which is not a regular thing. I'm on a diet... :(
😆
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
unregistered1

I used to hate them.
Stinging my fingers all the time, them rascals.
But I learned to love them.
Especially after noticing they really clean the airhole real good and keeps it to its optimal opening for my outmost puffing enjoyment.
That is something to consider.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
avid

Lord Guyrox wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:12 pm That is something to consider.
i would agree, if competitively priced
insufferable filter guy
Whalehead King

Lord Guyrox wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:12 pm
Especially after noticing they really clean the airhole real good and keeps it to its optimal opening for my outmost puffing enjoyment.
I know what you're saying. Nobody loves a clean airhole more than Whalehead King.

I'm not convinced that the bristles make all that much of a difference, though, especially if a person uses a regular pipe cleaner liberally over the course of a smoke ---- within budget, of course.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm
I know what you're saying. Nobody loves a clean airhole more than Whalehead King.

I'm not convinced that the bristles make all that much of a difference, though, especially if a person uses a regular pipe cleaner liberally over the course of a smoke ---- within budget, of course.
Liberal use is a pipe cleaner in the middle of bowl 3 instead of bowl 4? I am trying to understand. You got my attention with the word "budget."
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08 pm
Liberal use is a pipe cleaner in the middle of bowl 3 instead of bowl 4? I am trying to understand. You got my attention with the word "budget."
It depends on the pipe. The cool smokers you have may only require a quick pass by bowl four. I have a lot of pipes with stingers, so I have pipes like that.

In my experience, a stinger can't accept a bristly pipe cleaner; The bristly pipe cleaner won't fit through that little hole, especially the hole in one of those radiator stingers, which are my favorites, the ones with the ridges.

Not to get too far off the topic of bristly pipe cleaners, but, basically, a stinger eliminates the need for a pipe cleaner in the stem. The stinger catches all the gunk and moisture. A pipe cleaner of any kind is just for very occasional maintenance when a pipe has a stinger.

A pipe equipped with a stinger does represent a serious up-front investment, to be sure, but it more than pays for itself over the pipe's lifetime if you factor in how few, if any, pipe cleaners are needed for a cool, dry smoke every time.
avid

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08 pm You got my attention with the word "budget."
LOL
insufferable filter guy
unregistered1

Bud, I assure you, I saw, rather, felt a difference in the draw after I used either a Brigham or Dill's (can't remember which) bristle cleaner in one of my pipes.
I repeated the experience in a couple others and I was very happy with the result.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Whalehead King

Lord Guyrox wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Bud, I assure you, I saw, rather, felt a difference in the draw after I used either a Brigham or Dill's (can't remember which) bristle cleaner in one of my pipes.
I repeated the experience in a couple others and I was very happy with the result.
I don't doubt what you're saying Lord Guyrox. Did you use use the bristly cleaners exclusively? That's all I have on my desk right now: bristly pipe cleaners and a few curled up and bent useless stubs of BJ Longs. The reason I only have worthless bits of BJ Longs is because I prefer them to the bristly ones.

This makes me think of the medical abbreviation, "D&C." After you work in the surgical field for awhile you think of a D&C as Dusting and Cleaning. When you were in school you learned it meant Dilation and Curettage. The two types of pipe cleaners we're talking about are like the two meanings of D&C.
avid

there's also 'direct current', District of Columbia'
insufferable filter guy