Licorice Blends

Whalehead King

...Or, as our friends across the Pond, like to spell it, liquorice.

Hello, Wikipedia:

"Most liquorice was once used as a flavouring agent for tobacco for flavour enhancing and moistening agents in the manufacture of American blend cigarettes, moist snuff, chewing tobacco, and pipe tobacco.[17][19] Liquorice provided tobacco products with a natural sweetness and a distinctive flavour that blends readily with the natural and imitation flavouring components employed in the tobacco industry.[17] As of 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration banned the use of any "characterizing flavors" other than menthol from cigarettes, but not other manufactured tobacco products.[20]"

Aside from M79 and No Name, what other blends might use licorice in the tobacco mix?
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

I have a hard time appreciating the difference between anise and licorice in a blend (taste bud thing I guess), but Esoterica Ramsgate is supposed to have actual licorice essence in it. How do I get Esoterica blends you may ask? Inst@gram. P&C rolls out info on Esoterica shipments on 'Insta' long before it hits their website. Just a thought.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Yes , ramsgate and blackwatch or whatever it's called, both Esoterica and both exceptional . Other than those two , I can't recall others . Of note is the licorice flavor in the esotericas is different than m79 . I still have some ramsgate but no bllackwatch . It's a drag Esoterica blends are so hard to get ..... thankfully black cavendish seems abundant , lol :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Whalehead King wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:19 pm ...Or, as our friends across the Pond, like to spell it, liquorice.

Hello, Wikipedia:

"Most liquorice was once used as a flavouring agent for tobacco for flavour enhancing and moistening agents in the manufacture of American blend cigarettes, moist snuff, chewing tobacco, and pipe tobacco.[17][19] Liquorice provided tobacco products with a natural sweetness and a distinctive flavour that blends readily with the natural and imitation flavouring components employed in the tobacco industry.[17] As of 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration banned the use of any "characterizing flavors" other than menthol from cigarettes, but not other manufactured tobacco products.[20]"

Aside from M79 and No Name, what other blends might use licorice in the tobacco mix?
G&H Brown Flake Liquorice is really tasty. You can definitely tell it's "Liquorice" too.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I smoked a truck load of G.H dark flake licorice, every once in a blue moon Mars has it in stock or if you have friends across the pond that works too. I love licorice flavored tobacco!
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:14 pm I smoked a truck load of G.H dark flake licorice, every once in a blue moon Mars has it in stock or if you have friends across the pond that works too. I love licorice flavored tobacco!
Damn , I was unaware of it . Bet Its damn good huh ! I wish the red coasts would get their shit together with sending us product . I dig the G&H top black cherry and havent seen it in a time , though I got some in the stash , id like to order some more
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:14 pm I smoked a truck load of G.H dark flake licorice, every once in a blue moon Mars has it in stock or if you have friends across the pond that works too. I love licorice flavored tobacco!
Damn , I was unaware of it . Bet Its damn good huh ! I wish the red coasts would get their shit together with sending us product . I dig the G&H top black cherry and havent seen it in a time , though I got some in the stash , id like to order some more
I smoked it everyday for a few years until I couldn't get it so easily. It wasn't overly topped, just in the background of the muddled murk which makes G.H so good! The lake district stuff is my favorite, but I'm taking a break from it until the hoarding subsidies. Rum twist was another every day smoke too. Top Black Cherry is good, Cherry Cream not so good.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ouzo!
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I can't tell the difference between anise and licorice very well either. Snag a pack of Avanti anisette cigars King. Those things have enough anise / licorice flavor to alter your tasters for a half day
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
sisyphus
Person of Interest

difference between anise and licorice: anise tastes like good n plenty candy. It's probably what most Americans associate with what licorice tastes like. Licorice is much darker, murkier, slightly vegetal, and pairs really well with tobacco. It's a common additive to Swedish snus.

Try salmiak sometime. It's one of Northern Europe's favorite candy classics. Salted black licorice, and boy you had better like real black licorice. I think it's great.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list