Licorice Blends

User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 1366
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am
Location: Archdiocese of New Orleans

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:19 pm

...Or, as our friends across the Pond, like to spell it, liquorice.

Hello, Wikipedia:

"Most liquorice was once used as a flavouring agent for tobacco for flavour enhancing and moistening agents in the manufacture of American blend cigarettes, moist snuff, chewing tobacco, and pipe tobacco.[17][19] Liquorice provided tobacco products with a natural sweetness and a distinctive flavour that blends readily with the natural and imitation flavouring components employed in the tobacco industry.[17] As of 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration banned the use of any "characterizing flavors" other than menthol from cigarettes, but not other manufactured tobacco products.[20]"

Aside from M79 and No Name, what other blends might use licorice in the tobacco mix?
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 4):
Bruyere_RoyaleChef BennyFr_Tomjanim1
A nobody who is nobody's business.
User avatar
Bro Uhaha
Active Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 pm

I have a hard time appreciating the difference between anise and licorice in a blend (taste bud thing I guess), but Esoterica Ramsgate is supposed to have actual licorice essence in it. How do I get Esoterica blends you may ask? Inst@gram. P&C rolls out info on Esoterica shipments on 'Insta' long before it hits their website. Just a thought.
This post by Bro Uhaha liked by (total 3):
Ronv69Chef Bennyjanim1
'Ahab could discover no sign in the sea.' -Melville
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes , ramsgate and blackwatch or whatever it's called, both Esoterica and both exceptional . Other than those two , I can't recall others . Of note is the licorice flavor in the esotericas is different than m79 . I still have some ramsgate but no bllackwatch . It's a drag Esoterica blends are so hard to get ..... thankfully black cavendish seems abundant , lol :)
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 3):
Bruyere_RoyaleRonv69Fr_Tom
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows " 13th apostle
User avatar
houtenziel
Codger in Training
Posts: 2536
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Field of Arbol

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:19 pm
...Or, as our friends across the Pond, like to spell it, liquorice.

Hello, Wikipedia:

"Most liquorice was once used as a flavouring agent for tobacco for flavour enhancing and moistening agents in the manufacture of American blend cigarettes, moist snuff, chewing tobacco, and pipe tobacco.[17][19] Liquorice provided tobacco products with a natural sweetness and a distinctive flavour that blends readily with the natural and imitation flavouring components employed in the tobacco industry.[17] As of 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration banned the use of any "characterizing flavors" other than menthol from cigarettes, but not other manufactured tobacco products.[20]"

Aside from M79 and No Name, what other blends might use licorice in the tobacco mix?
G&H Brown Flake Liquorice is really tasty. You can definitely tell it's "Liquorice" too.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 5):
Chef BennyFr_TomWhalehead KingRonv69janim1
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 3256
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:14 pm

I smoked a truck load of G.H dark flake licorice, every once in a blue moon Mars has it in stock or if you have friends across the pond that works too. I love licorice flavored tobacco!
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 7):
houtenzielRuffinogoldChef BennyFr_TomWhalehead KingRonv69janim1
Tsal... 🎳
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:14 pm
I smoked a truck load of G.H dark flake licorice, every once in a blue moon Mars has it in stock or if you have friends across the pond that works too. I love licorice flavored tobacco!
Damn , I was unaware of it . Bet Its damn good huh ! I wish the red coasts would get their shit together with sending us product . I dig the G&H top black cherry and havent seen it in a time , though I got some in the stash , id like to order some more
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 5):
Bruyere_RoyaleChef BennyFr_TomRonv69janim1
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows " 13th apostle
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 3256
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:14 pm
I smoked a truck load of G.H dark flake licorice, every once in a blue moon Mars has it in stock or if you have friends across the pond that works too. I love licorice flavored tobacco!
Damn , I was unaware of it . Bet Its damn good huh ! I wish the red coasts would get their shit together with sending us product . I dig the G&H top black cherry and havent seen it in a time , though I got some in the stash , id like to order some more
I smoked it everyday for a few years until I couldn't get it so easily. It wasn't overly topped, just in the background of the muddled murk which makes G.H so good! The lake district stuff is my favorite, but I'm taking a break from it until the hoarding subsidies. Rum twist was another every day smoke too. Top Black Cherry is good, Cherry Cream not so good.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 4):
Chef BennyFr_TomRonv69janim1
Tsal... 🎳
User avatar
Ronv69
Founding Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Ouzo!
This post by Ronv69 liked by (total 5):
Bruyere_RoyalehoutenzielChef BennyFr_Tomjanim1
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2552
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:28 pm

I can't tell the difference between anise and licorice very well either. Snag a pack of Avanti anisette cigars King. Those things have enough anise / licorice flavor to alter your tasters for a half day
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 6):
houtenzielBro UhahaChef BennyFr_TomRonv69janim1
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
User avatar
sisyphus
Site Admin
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:44 am
Location: Red Oak, IA

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 pm

difference between anise and licorice: anise tastes like good n plenty candy. It's probably what most Americans associate with what licorice tastes like. Licorice is much darker, murkier, slightly vegetal, and pairs really well with tobacco. It's a common additive to Swedish snus.

Try salmiak sometime. It's one of Northern Europe's favorite candy classics. Salted black licorice, and boy you had better like real black licorice. I think it's great.
This post by sisyphus liked by (total 6):
Mr BeardsleyChef BennyFr_TomWhalehead KingRonv69janim1
Exemplo Ducemus
Post Reply