Your Favorite Beer

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:48 pm My dad had an appreciation for some of the more common regional beers, and I remember seeing many of the big names in the fridge back in the day - Miller, Coors, Hamms, Stroh, Olympia, etc. But the ones he really liked were Heileman's (he was from Wisconsin), Primo from Hawaii, and LA's own Brew 102. I still remember the big Brew 102 sign atop the brewery right next to the freeway just as you were coming into downtown, it was one of those things that told me that we had arrived in LA.
You know why I am getting confused by your lingo? Because where I live we always say, L.A. is not LA. If there is no period between the L and the A, I read what it says on all my mail: Louisiana.. I was scratching my head.

Me: "I've never heard of Brew 102 and I live here. LA 31 is our local beer." Then, I realized what was going on. L.A. is not LA.

It is where we are married and it is where we are buried. God bless Louisiana.

Dixie is no longer made. They changed the name and the recipe. This happened after George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis. Talk about pointless. Man, I would give anything for a nice cold can of Dixie beer right now.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

Citizen B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:48 pm My dad had an appreciation for some of the more common regional beers, and I remember seeing many of the big names in the fridge back in the day - Miller, Coors, Hamms, Stroh, Olympia, etc. But the ones he really liked were Heileman's (he was from Wisconsin), Primo from Hawaii, and LA's own Brew 102. I still remember the big Brew 102 sign atop the brewery right next to the freeway just as you were coming into downtown, it was one of those things that told me that we had arrived in LA.
You know why I am getting confused by your lingo? Because where I live we always say, L.A. is not LA. If there is no period between the L and the A, I read what it says on all my mail: Louisiana.. I was scratching my head.

Me: "I've never heard of Brew 102 and I live here. LA 31 is our local beer." Then, I realized what was going on. L.A. is not LA.
Uhh...okay. Sorry for your confusion, friend. :lol:

I suppose that's the linguistic danger inherent in using abbreviations and expecting everyone else to know what you're talking about. But I would no sooner use periods when referring to LA than I would when referring to SF, NYC, or to NOLA for that matter. 🤷‍♂️
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:42 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm

Uhh...okay. Sorry for your confusion, friend. :lol:

I suppose that's the linguistic danger inherent in using abbreviations and expecting everyone else to know what you're talking about. But I would no sooner use periods when referring to LA than I would when referring to SF, NYC, or to NOLA for that matter. 🤷‍♂️
No, no. It is me it is not you.

I am a New Orleans transplant to the core. I am cranky Yankee in my marrow. I am from Connecticut. Connecticut's state motto is, "Qui Transtulit Sustinet." Who transplants sustains.

I have no love for Louisiana but I have lived her long enough to have gone native. I know everything thing that was shown in those cheesy television spots because they are true. You can take the Yankee out of Connecticut but you cannot take Connecticut out of this particular Yankee. Both videos are true to my lived experience day-to-day.

It is like this Jon Batiste video that was shot in my neighborhood. I understand he won an award for this song. This is what my days are like:

We sometimes write NOLA to save a hand cramp. I never do and I write a lot. No one who lives here ever says NOLA. Never. This isn't Tribeca or Soho. It isn't L.A. It is New Orleans. We savor the taste of the flavor on our tongues when we pronounce every syllable. It tastes good to live here. We love where we live, even if it is in Louisiana.

Home is where the heart is. I could use a beer. I think I'll head down to the Mother-in-Law Lounge four blocks away. That's where the video was shot when Jon Batiste was wearing a fez. That is a Zulu fez. I live around the corner from the Zulu den.

I am rambling. I am sure Los Angeles is nice, too. It is just much bigger than New Olreans, and, you have to drive. La-la Land. I loved that movie as much as I love the "God bless Louisiana" commercials. God bless America. I could use a cold bottle of suds.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 am I just got some of these, another product from the good folks in Shiner, TX. Weisse N Easy. Low cal, low carb, low ABV (4%) but not thin on flavor. The somehow brew it with Texas grown dewberries and it is refreshing on these hot Texas days. You definitely tasted the dewberries but the wheatiness comes through. Shiner can come up with some pretty crazy beers but this is a good one.

I'll have to look for that, but we probably can't get it here. I really liked Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss when I could get it in Houston.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:45 pm
Silver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:13 pm From Wikipedia:

As it grew it purchased several regional breweries, including in Albany, New York, Cleveland, Ohio, and Baltimore, Maryland. A $106 million public stock offering was held in 1968, with the F.& M. Schaefer Corporation emerging as a holding company for its production subsidiary, the Schaefer Brewing Company. Pursuing greater efficiency, it built a large, high-output plant in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the Lehigh Valley, which opened in 1972 and resulted in closure of the company's remaining satellite breweries.[2] In 1974 it was expanded from its original 1,100,000 barrels-per-year capacity to 2,500,000 and then, in 1975, it expanded again to 5,000,000 barrels plus.
In 1981 Schaefer was acquired by Stroh Brewing Company which, in turn, was acquired by Pabst Brewing Company in 1999.[7]
I like Schaefer. Schaefer was best very cold. Colder than cold. Low ABV. You could enjoy them without getting schnockered. Pabst stopped production some time ago. Word was they were going to return the brand to the original recipe. From what I know/knew it's available in NYC. Schaefer was a NY beer. Bigger than Budweiser in it's day. The one beer to have when you're having more than one.

This is a pic of the new brew

https://sommbeer.com/beer-news/schaefer ... -the-city/
It looks like a law firm marquee , jeez

This is a can of SCHAEFER ...
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:17 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 am I just got some of these, another product from the good folks in Shiner, TX. Weisse N Easy. Low cal, low carb, low ABV (4%) but not thin on flavor. The somehow brew it with Texas grown dewberries and it is refreshing on these hot Texas days. You definitely tasted the dewberries but the wheatiness comes through. Shiner can come up with some pretty crazy beers but this is a good one.

I'll have to look for that, but we probably can't get it here. I really liked Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss when I could get it in Houston.
Leinenkugel has some fantastic beers
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I think my favorite beer is Straub . St. Marys , Pa . Pa stuff is the best and Straub is the best of Pa . Some time ago I really enjoyed Redhook ESB .. I dont know what ESB means but I drank that stuff whenever I saw it , which wasnt all the time . First had it in either Maine or New Hampshire around 94 or 95 .
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

You guys remember Boy Howdy! Beer from Creem magazine ... I always thought that was hysterical . I read a while back that someone was actually going to make it or a version of it , being it was fictitious
Puff nstuff

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:05 pm I think my favorite beer is Straub . St. Marys , Pa . Pa stuff is the best and Straub is the best of Pa . Some time ago I really enjoyed Redhook ESB .. I dont know what ESB means but I drank that stuff whenever I saw it , which wasnt all the time . First had it in either Maine or New Hampshire around 94 or 95 .
Redbook ESB is a very good beer. ESB stands for Extra Special Bitter. Bitter is a small ale style of British pale ale, meaning lower in alcohol and body. They're hard to come by in the States, but are a major family of styles in the UK. Typically a bitter is an easy drinking ale that is rather dry and not particularly bitter, but is bitter in comparison to fuller, maltier styles of English ale due to a higher hop content. Unlike American pale ales, British pales are relatively low-hopped. My favorite bitter was Theakston's Best Bitter, no longer available in these parts. Fuller's ESB is good, too.
Here's a good primer on bitter ale styles.
https://absolutebeer.com/styles/best-bitter/
Puff nstuff

Tonight my favorite beer is a Chorne dark lager, brewed in Ukraine. Drinking it gives me a sense of solidarity with the people of Ukraine. Long live Ukraine and its people! They raise a lot of grain in Ukraine, so it's no wonder they make good beer. I'm lucky that one of our most international supermarkets here sells a variety delicious Ukrainian beers, each at $2 a bottle. Budmo!
🍻