9mm filters

Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

The only filters I know are the rolled cardboard ones from Medico and Grabow. Are 9mm filters those European filters filled with charcoal or drying stones? I've never seen one in real life. I don't even think I've seen a picture of one. I have only read about them on PSF.

I have a Stanwell Harlekin that I didn't realize had a filter until I finally took the pipe apart after a few months to discover a blackened tarry cylinder in the stem. I threw it away, like the dirty tidbit that it was, without having the foresight to take measurements or a photo. It is long gone.

When I went to my pipe shop, I asked if they had any of those fancy European filters. The guy at the counter said, "We can't stock every crazy thing they make on the other side of the pond." Fair enough. I can't argue with that business logic. This is America.

I took a pipe from the latest epic box pass that has room for a filter in its stummel. I love pipes with filters but this one didn't have a filter in it. When I smoke my newest briar sans filter, the chamber gets very soggy. The chamber is in the perfect situation to capture goo and moisture, so it is the perfect place to put a filter, but a Grabow or Medico filter won't fit.

Are all 9mm filters interchangeable? I would expect so, since they are sold in the EU. I am sure there are transnational regulations and treaty agreements about the dimensions of pipe filters in the EU, but, I want to make sure before I order a case of expensive filters that won't fit my pipes.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
This post by Whalehead King liked by:
Ronv69
--- A friend who has no foes.
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

9mm filters are shorter than 6mm ( Grabow / Medico) and larger circumference. I think, but can't guarantee, that they're pretty much all the same size. I've got some that I'm too lazy to use, and could send you a handful if you want (Vauen / Dr. Perl Junior)
This post by Ellis You liked by (total 2):
Ronv69JTWilliams
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

It sounds as if an adapter for the 6mm filters would not work due to the length.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
avid

all of the above. i only have one brand, like them, which is fine since i foolishy only have one 9 mil briar... :|
This post by avid liked by:
Fr_Tom
insufferable filter guy
arturo7

I have three different brands of 9mm filters. 2 paper, 1charcoal. They are all the same size.
This post by arturo7 liked by:
Fr_Tom
ever forward
avid

btw, go into Paul's and ask for filters and you'll get a blank stare...not sure if that's because they don't have 'em, or they're judging...LOL
This post by avid liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomBro UhahaEllis You
insufferable filter guy
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Here's one of many sites that carry 9mm filters https://wvsmokeshop.com/9mmpipefilters-2.aspx. I have one 9mm pipe but don't use the filter because I like the more open draw.
This post by Ray Mackessy liked by:
Ellis You
9 Iron
Founding Member

The only filters I like using are the Savinelli 9mm balsa filters. They work well at capturing moisture and are easily adjustable with a little knife. You want a more open draw just widen one of the channels.
This post by 9 Iron liked by (total 3):
Ellis YouavidRonv69
rekamepip
Member in Good Standing

Plus one for using the Savinelli filters
9mm or 6mm both are great
I take an empty butter tub and put in some dry rice
Then place used balsa filters in there to dry them out for a few days yielding a few extra smokes per filter
This post by rekamepip liked by (total 5):
avidEllis YouRonv69Whalehead KingFr_Tom
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

rekamepip wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:10 am
Plus one for using the Savinelli filters
9mm or 6mm both are great
I take an empty butter tub and put in some dry rice
Then place used balsa filters in there to dry them out for a few days yielding a few extra smokes per filter
Do you date them so that you know which one has been in the longest or can you just tell they're ready by eyeballing them?
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 2):
Ellis YouFr_Tom
--- A friend who has no foes.