What Are You Smoking May 2020

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

SPRT in the Weber pot

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Zoom Church this morning with Dear Sweetie, then helped her cook up a Sunday Dinner of tacos for us and the Old Folks. Everything's over, cleaned up, put away, and I'm in the den. I've got The Cars (original pressing) playin' on the stereo. Man, there's some jammin' tunes right there! 8-) This Wembley pot is loaded with Duke Albert, club soda on the side. "Let the good times roll!"
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Whalehead King

MikeDennison wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:04 am LC Vanilla in this Wembley pot. I really like everything about this particular pipe, the lines, the bowl size, it's smoking characteristics...everything except the stem. I mean, it's a great fit, great size for clenching, but it's freakin' hard on the teeth. So, I've installed on of those rubber bit thingies...which makes me drool around it. I'll put up with the drool because it's such a great smoker. :lol:
I've been thinking about matches all morning. I don't have a box of Diamond matches, but I do have a box of Stop & Shop kitchen matches in the same sized box of yours. I bought it in a three-pack in Massachusetts so they are at least 10 years old. They still work. They are probably made by the same company.

I use them to light my kerosene heater in the winter, which is why they have lasted as long as they have. I'm thinking about finding that box to use them for pipe smoking.

Strike on the box!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Whalehead King wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:20 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:04 am LC Vanilla in this Wembley pot. I really like everything about this particular pipe, the lines, the bowl size, it's smoking characteristics...everything except the stem. I mean, it's a great fit, great size for clenching, but it's freakin' hard on the teeth. So, I've installed on of those rubber bit thingies...which makes me drool around it. I'll put up with the drool because it's such a great smoker. :lol:
I've been thinking about matches all morning. I don't have a box of Diamond matches, but I do have a box of Stop & Shop kitchen matches in the same sized box of yours. I bought it in a three-pack in Massachusetts so they are at least 10 years old. They still work. They are probably made by the same company.

I use them to light my kerosene heater in the winter, which is why they have lasted as long as they have. I'm thinking about finding that box to use them for pipe smoking.

Strike on the box!
Ha! Yeah, they probably are! :D I've got a coupla Zippo pipe lighters, and I like'em just fine...but for some reason I like matches better.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Whalehead King

MikeDennison wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Strike on the box!
Ha! Yeah, they probably are! :D I've got a coupla Zippo pipe lighters, and I like'em just fine...but for some reason I like matches better.
I'm out of lighter fluid and so is my corner grocer. That's why I've been limiting my pipes to metal and clay and brylon at the moment. I'm using a butane lighter so I'm limiting myself to pipes that won't catch fire.

I rarely use matches. Though I have plenty that I've collected from bars and restaurants since I've moved to New Orleans, and, the Mardi Gras krewe I belong to hands out matches with the krewe's coat of arms on it, so I have plenty of those, but I don't really like matches. It's breezy today, too, so I'm sure I'll go through too many matches for even the charring light. A wooden match is better than a cardboard match.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Picayune in the Weber pot

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Whalehead King wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:31 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Strike on the box!
I'm out of lighter fluid and so is my corner grocer. That's why I've been limiting my pipes to metal and clay and brylon at the moment. I'm using a butane lighter so I'm limiting myself to pipes that won't catch fire.

I rarely use matches. Though I have plenty that I've collected from bars and restaurants since I've moved to New Orleans, and, the Mardi Gras krewe I belong to hands out matches with the krewe's coat of arms on it, so I have plenty of those, but I don't really like matches. It's breezy today, too, so I'm sure I'll go through too many matches for even the charring light. A wooden match is better than a cardboard match.
Yeah, I find matches a challenge in a breeze. I've not yet learned the art of cupping the match in the palm of my hand without causing painful damage to my palm. Never tried cardboard matches for the pipe, but it makes sense that wooden ones are better.
SidStavros
Member in Good Standing

I am watching the ''6 Days'' [2017] movie while smoking Solani Golden Blend 779 English Luxury, ice tea beside me.
Blog for the New pipe smoker: http://Pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr
Whalehead King

Super Value Buttered Rum in a Yello-Bole Brylon---with a barbell stinger.. I'm using the paneled brylon in this photo. The round one is the famous WD-40 brylon with the loose stem. If you look closely, you can see bits of newsprint sticking out from where the stem meets the stummel. I just don't feel like dealing with it today, so, I pulled the square brylon pipe off the rack, where it usually sits in a place of honor.

Photo taken just before I loaded up the square pipe and packed it tight with SV Buttered Rum. In a brylon pipe, every tobacco tastes better. ;)
Whalehead King

SidStavros wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 pm Image

I am watching the ''6 Days'' [2017] movie while smoking Solani Golden Blend 779 English Luxury, ice tea beside me.
Can you recommend any Greek movies we can watch?