WD-40 to grease a stem

arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Somewhat related...

A 50/50 mix of acetone and auto tranny fluid is a great rust buster.
ever forward
RDPipes

I think next time just try polishing the tenon a little and wax, a heck of a lot safer and no nasty taste.
Bamarick

arturo7 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 pm Somewhat related...

A 50/50 mix of acetone and auto tranny fluid is a great rust buster.
Add a couple other ingredients to that and you have "Ed's Red" which is another great gun cleaner.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Whalehead King

Now the opposite has happened.

After smoking this pipe exclusively the past couple of stays, I'm trying to get the joining of mortise and tenon to be more sticky. The stem has become so slickery that now the bowl falls off when I bend down, which, since I spend most of my time reading or typing for extended periods, is quite often. It started off slowly yesterday. Today, it's almost impossible to keep the pipe together while smoking.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I have to put my thinking cap on----or, maybe I'll get some good advice from PSF?
RDPipes

Whalehead King wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am Now the opposite has happened.

After smoking this pipe exclusively the past couple of stays, I'm trying to get the joining of mortise and tenon to be more sticky. The stem has become so slickery that now the bowl falls off when I bend down, which, since I spend most of my time reading or typing for extended periods, is quite often. It started off slowly yesterday. Today, it's almost impossible to keep the pipe together while smoking.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I have to put my thinking cap on----or, maybe I'll get some good advice from PSF?
I would start by washing the stem/tenon and the mortise out with alcohol and hopefully that get rid of the WD.
Then see how it fits, if too tight put a little wax on the tenon, if still too tight polish it a little and try again.
Ya don't want to take anything off the tenon unless its absolutely necessary.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

ever forward
Whalehead King

arturo7 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:27 pm

The pipe has a stinger, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. I need to regularly get inside to clean the stinger of all the gunk and muck it collects. I thought about it, but it can't be a permanent solution like glue, or a semi-permanent solution that requires a lot of wrapping and unwrapping.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Simple fix and I'm serious, I've done this with two pipes with loose stems. Elmer's white glue, put it on the tenon then wipe it off, lil goes a long way. You can then easily break the seal for a good cleanin' every now and then. It's non-toxic.
The Troll Whisperer
Whalehead King

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Simple fix and I'm serious, I've done this with two pipes with loose stems. Elmer's white glue, put it on the tenon then wipe it off, lil goes a long way. You can then easily break the seal for a good cleanin' every now and then. It's non-toxic.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you. I'll try it.
RDPipes

Hey, why not just use bailing wire? You can put one wrap on and twist with a pair of pliers to make it tight and untwist or just replace it any time you need.

Never seen so many that want a quick Mickey Mouse fix instead of doing it the correct way and never have to worry about it again. (shaking my head in disbelief)