Middleton’s Cherry Blend Discontinued - Advice Needed

birdog

I too miss Middleton Cherry Blend and agree that the flavoring may not be cherry, or some combo.

If the contents of the cigars are the same, perhaps a knowledgeable tobacconist blender out there can try to duplicate...tear a bunch of them apart and try to figure it out....I believe there would be many of us that would be very pleased. Can't blame Altria I guess because their profit/volume from the cigars is probably ten times that of bulk cherry blend pipe tobacco sales. I called them several times to no avail, when it became unavailable.

... the balance of burley with a splash of virginias in Cherry blend doesn't seem too different than the base tobacco blend in Carter Hall.., but with different flavorants. I have tried the various "alternative" and "match" cherry blends out there and they don't come close, mostly because they aren't trying to clone the original , but coming up with a blend with cherry flavoring.....

...one of the most pleasing aspects of Middleton Cherry Blend is the room note...very unique and pleasing. ...and it has that certain zest that must come from the little light virginias in it.
Has anyone figured this out yet?
Focus on the cookie...
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

birdog wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:08 pm I too miss Middleton Cherry Blend and agree that the flavoring may not be cherry, or some combo.

If the contents of the cigars are the same, perhaps a knowledgeable tobacconist blender out there can try to duplicate...tear a bunch of them apart and try to figure it out....I believe there would be many of us that would be very pleased. Can't blame Altria I guess because their profit/volume from the cigars is probably ten times that of bulk cherry blend pipe tobacco sales. I called them several times to no avail, when it became unavailable.

... the balance of burley with a splash of virginias in Cherry blend doesn't seem too different than the base tobacco blend in Carter Hall.., but with different flavorants. I have tried the various "alternative" and "match" cherry blends out there and they don't come close, mostly because they aren't trying to clone the original , but coming up with a blend with cherry flavoring.....

...one of the most pleasing aspects of Middleton Cherry Blend is the room note...very unique and pleasing. ...and it has that certain zest that must come from the little light virginias in it.
Has anyone figured this out yet?
Figured out what ... a match ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
birdog

Yes, sorry....a match that tastes like the original.
Focus on the cookie...
Wildcat
Codger in Training

My opinion is that all CB matches, including WVsmokeshop's match and Mid-Town Cherry: All Sutliff. All close, but not perfect, especially in tobacco cut.

I've often thought how it would be after drying (the matches are better dry)and tossing some in a food processor like a Bullet. Maybe that's the ticket.

Like @Ruffinogold I have an unopened tub waiting in the wings. While I was away last week, these showed up at my doorstep, a gift from PipeStud. All unopened. I'm very anxious to open the CB and try what is was like 50 +/- years ago.

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Riff89

Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 am My opinion is that all CB matches, including WVsmokeshop's match and Mid-Town Cherry: All Sutliff. All close, but not perfect, especially in tobacco cut.

I've often thought how it would be after drying (the matches are better dry)and tossing some in a food processor like a Bullet. Maybe that's the ticket.

Like @Ruffinogold I have an unopened tub waiting in the wings. While I was away last week, these showed up at my doorstep, a gift from PipeStud. All unopened. I'm very anxious to open the CB and try what is was like 50 +/- years ago.

I’m interested in what you find flavor and aroma wise in the old CB. Every blend I’ve tried from that era had a similar thing going on it’s a slightly floral smell not lakelandesque or anything but I’m beginning to think as burley ages it gets this really cool vintage smell. The 50s half and half had it as well as both old George Washington I tried. I’m curious if this stuff will be the same. It’s awesome and I dig it.
Riff89

That KC may have it as well.
birdog

I first smoked CB around 1967 and the stuff I bought just before it was discontinued tasted the same. Same with PA and CH.
Focus on the cookie...
Riff89

birdog wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:16 pm I first smoked CB around 1967 and the stuff I bought just before it was discontinued tasted the same. Same with PA and CH.
That’s why they are so great. You always know what you’re getting.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 am My opinion is that all CB matches, including WVsmokeshop's match and Mid-Town Cherry: All Sutliff. All close, but not perfect, especially in tobacco cut.

I’m interested in what you find flavor and aroma wise in the old CB. Every blend I’ve tried from that era had a similar thing going on it’s a slightly floral smell not lakelandesque or anything but I’m beginning to think as burley ages it gets this really cool vintage smell. The 50s half and half had it as well as both old George Washington I tried. I’m curious if this stuff will be the same. It’s awesome and I dig it.
Youre right . Burley does have a unique age thing ... its awesome .... but remember the know it alls some years back ?! ... " Burley doesnt age " ..... lets just agree with them , lol , and get the aged shit for ourselves
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:02 pm
Riff89 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 am

Youre right . Burley does have a unique age thing ... its awesome .... but remember the know it alls some years back ?! ... " Burley doesnt age " ..... lets just agree with them , lol , and get the aged shit for ourselves

I agree @Ruffinogold
That burley doesn’t age well at all if anything gets worse over time
and some say aromatics turn bad too
Horrible stuff
:lol: