Ask me anything

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:41 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:35 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:15 am Got a solid quarter?
Nope
There goes my one phone call.
:lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:28 am
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:56 am I've got a couple of dozen cigars that have been in airtight canisters for a couple of years. I know the little hydration pack has long since been depleted, and am wondering if the cigars can be saved. I'd like to give them away, but don't want to give away trash. What's the word?
I have rehydrated cigars with pretty good results. I had them in a cedar lined humidor where they were ignored until they dried out due to me not smoking cigars for a long time. I put a saucer of distilled water in with them and forgot about them for a couple of months. It worked well, but they were not what would be considered top notch cigars to begin with. Worked for me. A real cigar connoisseur would probably have nightmares about doing this.
Thanks man! I'll get a few hydration packs and give it a try. Nothin' to lose!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Nope
Who ya gonna call?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:19 am

Nope
Who ya gonna call?
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:24 am
Wildcat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:19 am

Who ya gonna call?
There was only one answer. lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:18 am
Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:28 am
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:56 am I've got a couple of dozen cigars that have been in airtight canisters for a couple of years. I know the little hydration pack has long since been depleted, and am wondering if the cigars can be saved. I'd like to give them away, but don't want to give away trash. What's the word?
I have rehydrated cigars with pretty good results. I had them in a cedar lined humidor where they were ignored until they dried out due to me not smoking cigars for a long time. I put a saucer of distilled water in with them and forgot about them for a couple of months. It worked well, but they were not what would be considered top notch cigars to begin with. Worked for me. A real cigar connoisseur would probably have nightmares about doing this.
There's always this method

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
ncrobb
Founding Member

That’s a new one to me. I’ve always heard it called a “case” quarter.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Wildcat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:44 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:18 am
Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:28 am I have rehydrated cigars with pretty good results. I had them in a cedar lined humidor where they were ignored until they dried out due to me not smoking cigars for a long time. I put a saucer of distilled water in with them and forgot about them for a couple of months. It worked well, but they were not what would be considered top notch cigars to begin with. Worked for me. A real cigar connoisseur would probably have nightmares about doing this.
There's always this method

Ok...so I finally watched the video. Aside from being no help at all... :lol: :lol:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Sheridan

What would be the best Peterson pipe to use in a ‘slow smoking competition?’ (Serious question! Lol)
Never been to a slow smoke event before, this Saturday the London pipe club have the prestigious & priceless ‘Peterson Cup’ up for grabs. Thinking of driving down there & snatching the cup from under the city slickers noses! 8-)

As I’ve never ‘competed’ before, help & advice is imperative in order to win the cup.
Apparently, they give you 3g of tobacco & 5min to sort yourself out, load & light your pipe. Trying to envisage what 3g of tobacco looks like & what pipe would work best.

I’m thinking of using one of the following;
106 (large billiard).
309 ( tall, narrowish bowl).
20s (bent billiard/brandy).
11s ( slightly larger than the 20s).

What would be the ‘Pete to Beat’ so to speak?
Any other advice or tips, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers! :thumbs:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:26 am What would be the best Peterson pipe to use in a ‘slow smoking competition?’ (Serious question! Lol)
Never been to a slow smoke event before, this Saturday the London pipe club have the prestigious & priceless ‘Peterson Cup’ up for grabs. Thinking of driving down there & snatching the cup from under the city slickers noses! 8-)

As I’ve never ‘competed’ before, help & advice is imperative in order to win the cup.
Apparently, they give you 3g of tobacco & 5min to sort yourself out, load & light your pipe. Trying to envisage what 3g of tobacco looks like & what pipe would work best.

I’m thinking of using one of the following;
106 (large billiard).
309 ( tall, narrowish bowl).
20s (bent billiard/brandy).
11s ( slightly larger than the 20s).

What would be the ‘Pete to Beat’ so to speak?
Any other advice or tips, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers! :thumbs:
Take the one that you know smokes the best. In a regular slow smoke contest I believe you're also given 2 matches to light with. 3g of tobacco is probably based on a chamber that's 3/4" wide x 1.5" deep. My brain isn't working in metric this morning so you'll have to do the conversion yourself :lol: