Pipe Lighting with a Zippo

pipelover
Broken Pipe

I was fortunate to be given 2 Zippo's. An ordinary one, and a Pipe one. The Pipe one is useless, and only works if you light up with your pipe sideways.
I'm going back to ordinary windproof butane gas lighters, matches unless you know better ? :roll:
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You have to use the pipe insert horizontally to be effective.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Seamaster

The Zippo pipe lighter is brilliant, nothing comes close for outdoor use.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

my feeling is that Zippo flames are not hot enough to be satisfying for pipe, butane is too hot and you may accidentally char your briar, wood matches are just right
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Tsal
Forum Decorum

In my old age I can no longer stomach the smell and taste of Zippo fluid. I use a soft flame or match.
The Troll Whisperer
pipelover
Broken Pipe

thanks for info. I was using the zippo as shown in the diagram, but itdoesn't draw well into the pipe. I have tried loose, and "tamped", but holding the pipe sideways and the lighter vertical just seem to work. Maybe it's too windy here ? Any way , bought a box of matches to try in my shed. Good old fashioned styley!
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I don't know what it is about wood matches, but they just seem to light the tobacco easier than anything else. I find using any lighter for re-lights to be totally useless, as it seems to just get one tiny little spot really cooking and misses the rest. Zippos are cool though, so I still have a few. :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

sisyphus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 am my feeling is that Zippo flames are not hot enough to be satisfying for pipe, butane is too hot and you may accidentally char your briar, wood matches are just right
Zippos are "wind-proof." Matches, less so.

Like any other tool with its own personality, it takes some getting used to the Pipe Zippo. I've used it to light 50 ring gauge cigars with ease. It was my only lighter for a couple of months so that's what forced me to make it work. Its contents are inflammable, so use with caution. I wouldn't give one as a present at a baby shower.

I've lost my Pipe Zippo so I don't have one anymore. I use a regular Zippo that I've had for longer than I had the Pipe Zippo. I was going to buy another pipe model but, as luck would have it, I inherited another regular Zippo from someone I barely knew so now I have two regular Zippos, one of which I've never used and so I have no justification to buy a Pipe Zippo, no matter how much I want one. I don't have LAD or ZAD.

A Pipe Zippo is a wonderful lighter the way Mr. Ed was a wonderful horse. Give it time. Your Pipe Zippo will tell you what to do. I wasn't in love with mine at first but nowadays I miss it. A Pipe Zippo really spreads the flame evenly to where it belongs.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

For me it's matches indoors or outdoors when it's calm, and my pipe Zippo outdoors when the breezes are blowing.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-