Pipe Lighting with a Zippo

Ragin Cajun 1

sisyphus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 am my feeling is that Zippo flames are not hot enough to be satisfying for pipe, butane is too hot and you may accidentally char your briar, wood matches are just right
I made the mistake of buying a Zippo with a butane insert a little while ago. I wound up charring the rim of an almost brand new Peterson Spigot pipe., and had to send it off to get it repaired. I couldn't stand to look at it the way it was. The lady who fixed it did a good jub, and the charred area is almost invisible. I now use regular Bic lighters, as they have a soft flame. That zippo thing was a blowtorch.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ragin Cajun 1 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:13 pm
sisyphus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 am my feeling is that Zippo flames are not hot enough to be satisfying for pipe, butane is too hot and you may accidentally char your briar, wood matches are just right
I made the mistake of buying a Zippo with a butane insert a little while ago. I wound up charring the rim of an almost brand new Peterson Spigot pipe., and had to send it off to get it repaired. I couldn't stand to look at it the way it was. The lady who fixed it did a good jub, and the charred area is almost invisible. I now use regular Bic lighters, as they have a soft flame. That zippo thing was a blowtorch.

I have a “Thunderbird” butane insert in one of my Zippos. I think that’s the name. Anyway, I fought that thing for a couple months and had made my mind up I was gonna blast a .41 Mag into it and for some reason I gave it another try and it’s been working like a charm for a couple years. I guess it needed to know I was done playing. Anyway, the flame out of it is similar to a Bic. What brand insert did you have?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ragin Cajun 1

ncrobb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 pm
Ragin Cajun 1 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:13 pm

I have a “Thunderbird” butane insert in one of my Zippos. I think that’s the name. Anyway, I fought that thing for a couple months and had made my mind up I was gonna blast a .41 Mag into it and for some reason I gave it another try and it’s been working like a charm for a couple years. I guess it needed to know I was done playing. Anyway, the flame out of it is similar to a Bic. What brand insert did you have?
I believe it was a Zippo
ncrobb
Founding Member

Hmm, Vector Thunderbird soft flame butane insert.

Still prefer the standard Zippo but this one does a decent job. Matches are my favorite. YMMV.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:03 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:21 am I like both versions . The regular , I just tilt the pipe . The pipe version , I just go to it as its meant to . All around , theres nothing better . Anytime I see a zippo thread , I cant help but mention the belt pouch . Its the next best thing next to the zippo itself

I keep mine in the watch pocket of my jeans
That works but detracts from my sex appeal :thumbs:
Oh yeah. A man smoking SWRA while wearing a zippo lighter pouch on his belt. Chicks really dig that. The SWRA is doing the heavy lifting in making women go weak in their knees. The pouch, is just kind of queer. Take your zippo pouch down the street, buddy.

I know you like the pouch but I have never gotten the appeal. I have never been tempted to try one. I know a zippo pouch is a standard part of your everyday kit but I don't think that is what makes you sexy.

I have no idea why women would find you appealing but I suspect it's the pipe, not the lighter, your choice of tobacco and your charming personality. You have the first hand experience. You would know better than I what works for you. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a lighter belt pouch. That's just me. I wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm not Batman.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

I have an old school Zippo sitting in a drawer somewhere but I've never been tempted to use it for the pipe, probably due to the odor of the fuel. Ever since I bought a Vertigo Puffer soft flame butane pipe lighter, it's all I ever use - it works great and has the three tools attached as well. Matches usually just frustrate me.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Fidibusz

I have run the gamut from Swan Vesta matches through butane and disposable butane to paper. Matchbook matches and old school Zippo lighters. After sitting in a drawer with a broken hinge for a few years I recently sent the Zippo back for repair. Got an email saying they received it and it would be 6 weeks for the repair. Two days later got it back good as new. I don’t taste anything from the fuel. I do carry a refillable, cheap Scripto lighter with a long nozzle. Good for any relights down in the bowl.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fidibusz wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:52 pm I have run the gamut from Swan Vesta matches through butane and disposable butane to paper. Matchbook matches and old school Zippo lighters. After sitting in a drawer with a broken hinge for a few years I recently sent the Zippo back for repair. Got an email saying they received it and it would be 6 weeks for the repair. Two days later got it back good as new. I don’t taste anything from the fuel. I do carry a refillable, cheap Scripto lighter with a long nozzle. Good for any relights down in the bowl.
Scripto's are good lighters with s soft flame, I usually grab a Bic from Wawa because it's right around the corner. The old Vu scripto's suck for lighting pipes, not only do they leak all over but the spark wheel falls out when you invert the lighter and the cheap metal lid gets scorching hot.
Good to hear you got your zippo backup and runnin'.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have 2 different soft flame butane inserts for my Zippos. One is a Thunderbird and I don't know what the other is. One is flint and steel and the other is piezo electric. Never had a problem with either one. Just haven't used them since I got my Corona Pipemaster.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:01 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:03 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 pm

I keep mine in the watch pocket of my jeans
That works but detracts from my sex appeal :thumbs:
Oh yeah. A man smoking SWRA while wearing a zippo lighter pouch on his belt. Chicks really dig that. The SWRA is doing the heavy lifting in making women go weak in their knees. The pouch, is just kind of queer. Take your zippo pouch down the street, buddy.

I know you like the pouch but I have never gotten the appeal. I have never been tempted to try one. I know a zippo pouch is a standard part of your everyday kit but I don't think that is what makes you sexy.

I have no idea why women would find you appealing but I suspect it's the pipe, not the lighter, your choice of tobacco and your charming personality. You have the first hand experience. You would know better than I what works for you. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a lighter belt pouch. That's just me. I wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm not Batman.
I could have sworn that you were bat-something. 😉🤠
God and Texas!