Hot sauce

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

My first introduction to 'hot sauce' was the little Tabasco bottle in MREs. I did not like it, but it did change the flavor of those things which was desirable. It wasn't until years later that I was introduced to Louisiana hot sauce on a camping trip and it has been in stock at my house ever since. I won't eat eggs without it.

Austin, TX has a hot sauce festival complete with amateur contest tent. It is the perfect opportunity to try 40-50 sauces and salsas and drink ice cold brews during the peak of summer. Tons of fun.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

The two we always have are Crystal and Sriracha. I feel like Sriracha lately has varied a lot in heat.. this latest bottle is super weak, and that makes me sad.

My Favorite is Arizona Gunslinger Red, but I've been having trouble finding it locally.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bamarick

Bro Uhaha wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:38 am My first introduction to 'hot sauce' was the little Tabasco bottle in MREs. I did not like it, but it did change the flavor of those things which was desirable. It wasn't until years later that I was introduced to Louisiana hot sauce on a camping trip and it has been in stock at my house ever since. I won't eat eggs without it.

Austin, TX has a hot sauce festival complete with amateur contest tent. It is the perfect opportunity to try 40-50 sauces and salsas and drink ice cold brews during the peak of summer. Tons of fun.
Tabasco wasn't included with the C Rations I ate at times and everyone seemed to have a bottle of Tabasco to help with the tast
I don't use much Hot Sauce these days but when I do it's most likely Habanero Mango from the Pepper Palace. They also have a Habanero Peach that is tasty as well.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Anthony and I are the only ones that eat hot sauce. There were a few we'd buy but we're settled in on one brand anymore ... Louisiana . It's perfect. We may buy a bottle of crystasl if we want the pepper flavor without any heat but it w/o t happen often

Ruff and Ruff kid #2 approved . Its the best, it's perfect
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
BriarPipeNYC

Can't take the heat like I used to when I was still back in my salad days. Rooster Sriracha or garlic/chili is my choice...but I cool down the blazing fire, so I can use it more often. I roast 4-5 sweet, red, bell-peppers over flames until the skins are blackened and charred. I clean the skins off and puree the peppers. I then fry the pepper puree in a little olive oil and garlic, until the puree is reduced, and has the consistency of tomato paste. Then I mix the just fried, sweet, red pepper paste into the bottle of the garlic-chili sauce, and refrigerate. It lasts a long time if refrigerated.

This version is not as hot and fiery as either Sriracha, or, the garlic-chili sauce, straight out of the bottle.

Hot stuff never bothered me when I was younger. I used to eat cherry-pepper/Italian bread sandwiches when I was a teen. Things change.
GatorGirl

All of the Midgets Fishing Hot Sauces! Luke’s for Bloody Mary’s, Madam Fluffy’s on fish tacos, Gertrude Wong on eggs and 321 on everything else!!!
Middle Earth

I am stongly against vinegar in hot sauce
But hard to avoid as it preserves the sauce
The finest, greatest, most bestest hot sauce in my opinion is
Picaflor
It is fermented and shipped cold due to Pro-Biotics that come from fermentation

https://www.picaflor.co/
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

This thread deserves to be resurrected!

The yucateco varieties are still my favorites. Recently got my paws on a bottle of the black label and man it's amazing. Not super hot but has a deep smoky flavor that plays well with everything.

A newer bottle that is becoming a regular option for me is Dirty Dicks. Again not insanely hot but super flavorful and has a lot of tropical fruit notes
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Silver
Certified Codger

Now you've got me looking over my hot sauce recipes. I have a few bags of whole, frozen chiles of several varieties from last season in the freezer. I meant to use them for hot sauce over the winter, but never got around to it. This thread will serve as a reminder to get it done!
Silver
Certified Codger

Silver wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:03 pm Now you've got me looking over my hot sauce recipes. I have a few bags of whole, frozen chiles of several varieties from last season in the freezer. I meant to use them for hot sauce over the winter, but never got around to it. This thread will serve as a reminder to get it done!
Dug my bags of chiles out of the freezer. The process begins tomorrow.