Pipe and Blend marriage photos

Wildcat
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 pm how close is Velvet to Cherry Blend?
It's not.

Not in my mind anyway, and I love both of them. I mean, they're both burley forward, Velvet being all burley, but it ends there IMO. From CB I get nutty burley and a "baking spice" flavor, with the occasional shadow of cherry... occasionally and rarely. It's an enigma for me, but like art, I know what I like.

Same with Velvet. It took a step towards the front of the class when Kentucky Club Mild/Blue was discontinued and I smoked the last of it. Man was that GOOD! I get no cherry at all from Velvet as some claim. I get no fruit, not even prune or raisin. I get a brown sugar/molasses sweetness, with the occasional shadow of anise and, believe it or not, coconut.
Last edited by Wildcat on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
sisyphus
Person of Interest

yeah for me Velvet is like a cherry Jolly Rancher
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Not very , imho
Velvet is Red Burley thats been steamed more than any red burley has ever been , lol . It smooths out the burley and has a mouthfeel to it . Its unique and a 3 char light .
Cherry blend is a burley/virginia in a hodgepodge cut that has a super mild " flavoring " that I recon is cherry , and an old school one at that I think . It is remarked as a biter , and it can , but its a no brainer to get right with a little fill job acquaintance .Both those blends are unique in a subdued kinda way . Velvet has been around forever and I hope it sticks around
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

sisyphus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:35 pm yeah for me Velvet is like a cherry Jolly Rancher
I think you may be thinking [ ? ] Paladin
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

[mention]sisyphus[/mention] wote: "yeah for me Velvet is like a cherry Jolly Rancher"

It's amazing how different things taste to each of us isn't it? I can't begin to imagine how you get cherry from Velvet and such a vivid, specific cherry to boot and yet I'm sure you do. That said, is that a good thing in your opinion? Do you like Velvet?
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 pm
sisyphus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:35 pm yeah for me Velvet is like a cherry Jolly Rancher
I think you may be thinking [ ? ] Paladin
Now that I could see, yes. The "new" Lane Paladin is pretty good actually. Better than the Pinkerton for sure.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:37 pm Not very , imho
Velvet is Red Burley thats been steamed more than any red burley has ever been , lol . It smooths out the burley and has a mouthfeel to it . Its unique and a 3 char light .
Cherry blend is a burley/virginia in a hodgepodge cut that has a super mild " flavoring " that I recon is cherry , and an old school one at that I think . It is remarked as a biter , and it can , but its a no brainer to get right with a little fill job acquaintance .Both those blends are unique in a subdued kinda way . Velvet has been around forever and I hope it sticks around
That's why you're the Mayor!
Velvet and mouthfeel, yes, absolutely. There's a "volume richness" to it. And CB is subdued and yes, once you get it, you got it and it gets you! I've said it a thousand times, I owe my affinity of CB to you. Thank you!
ncrobb
Founding Member

Dustin Neely Devil Anse and Carter Hall. This little pipe just would not break in. I was close to giving up on it and Tom told me to smoke it until it gave in. I used Carter Hall to smoke it into submission and I guess it stuck. They started dating in 2016; married sometime later. If the pipe ever wanders it’ll be with another Burley.

“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Savinelli 2016 St. Nicholas 606 and straight Virginias

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Velvet tastes like Play-Doh.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.