A Word on Ruger Revolvers

sisyphus
Person of Interest

I own two Ruger single actions and a double action, and one Smith & Wesson double action. Colt double actions never were on my radar. I wish I would have grabbed a Dan Wesson, but the time is passed because I pretty much have what I wanted. Colt SAA and Colt clones ultimately didn't fit what I wanted, because if I am going to shoot 45 Long Colt I want a stouter round that is suited to both a lever gun and a revolver, and the rounds I'd load would detonate a Colt. Not a problem with Ruger Blackhawks and their super beefy castings and ginormous cylinders.

So Ruger single actions, and here I only own Blackhawks: Fantastic. Nicely finished, durably made, flawlessly functioning. I truly believe that for around 1/3 the cost, a Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk gets you within spitting distance of a Freedom Arms.

Loving my Ruger single actions the way I do, when I needed a 44 magnum I ended up getting a Ruger Redhawk, confident that I would love it the same as my Blackhawks. I don't.

Don't misunderstand. The Redhawk is not a bad revolver. Perhaps if I didn't own a Smith & Wesson I wouldn't be so critical of the Redhawk. But I do and I am.

My single favorite handgun is my Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum, and honestly the Blackhawk I own in 45 Long Colt is not far behind. They are just incredible pistols in every regard.

I really tried to love the Redhawk and even spent the money on some Hogue hardwood grips to improve the grip angle, but I'm just lukewarm on it. The trigger pull in double action is just atrocious. I've had mine apart more than once, I've stoned the parts smooth as glass, tried reduced weight trigger springs, and nothing made it a gun I could love. Of all the guns in my collection, if I had the opportunity to trade my Redhawk in on a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter I wouldn't even have to think about it. Nor would I have to think long on trading it in on a Smith & Wesson 629.

So if you ever fall down this rabbit hole and start accumulating revolvers, I give the Ruger Blackhawk family the highest endorsement I can give, but if you're looking for something in double action do yourself a favor and get a Smith & Wesson. They're not as nicely finished as the S&Ws our granddads knew, but they are absolute shooters and they have the best double action trigger pull on the planet.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

This is my 629. I've had more Rugers than I can remember, now down to three, a .357 4 5/8" Blackhawk and two Wranglers. The Redhawk I had was .45 Colt, 4" bbl and was a beast. I do regret selling it.

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
ncrobb
Founding Member

[mention]sisyphus[/mention] I would have written this almost word for word but add that I have a few custom built single actions. The Ruger Blackhawk is the best bang for the buck in single actions. If you want a double action revolver look to S&W.

[mention]Kevin Keith[/mention] If you get tired of that King being in TX you let me know. Lol.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

ncrobb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:45 am [mention]sisyphus[/mention] I would have written this almost word for word but add that I have a few custom built single actions. The Ruger Blackhawk is the best bang for the buck in single actions. If you want a double action revolver look to S&W.

[mention]Kevin Keith[/mention] If you get tired of that King being in TX you let me know. Lol.
You laugh, but anything is possible!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Middle Earth

As mentioned I have my River Single Actions tuned by the best SASS gunsmiths
Makes a significant difference
Also have the cylinders honed/uniformed
Their tolerances need attention in my opinion
The tolerances on the Freedom Arms are extraordinary
Some think they are too tight for field work
Like many things, supreme quality does not come at bargain prices
Regardless I have had more than my fair share of Ruger Vaqueros both old and new, Blackhawks, and Super Blackhawks
Aside from numerous LCRs that I have had, which have triggers that exceed anything S&W ever dreamed of, their double-actions, specifically the Redhawk and Super Redhawk are lesser than the S&Ws
The Security Six was above average and I like my GP100 a lot
I Heart single-actions most of all
Always have, and always will
Middle Earth

“River” apparently means Ruger in my world as I type on my IPHONE on a work break
simplepipes
Codger in Training

My service revolver many years past was a Ruger 357 . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
9 Iron
Founding Member

I have a Ruger sp101 in .357, once I did the spring swap it was ok.
Middle Earth

BTW
Does Root have anything to do with
Person of Interest ?
sisyphus
Person of Interest

8. computers : a level of access to a computer system that allows complete access to files on the system and complete control over the system's functions —usually used before another noun
root user
root directory
I hope our names are touching on the watch list