" bug out ".. Items and thoughts

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:58 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:26 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:35 am If I had a bug out bag I definitely would include salt and pepper packets and maybe some garlic powder.
Yes , those are must items ... and oil . Squirrel, which is plentiful in many places , really needs onion , garlic salt, flour or bread crumbs, salt and pepper

I've been lazy and have been bringing mres mostly . I'm talking out In the woods. Regular camping , I got all kinds of stoves and stuff. And pretty much cook anything I can cook at home
Ruff, you have a dehydrator? Make some home cooked meals and keep the dried stuff in mylar bags like mre's, note on the bag how much water to add. Smaller pieces dehydrate/rehydrate better. Noodle dishes work great, oatmeal, dried bananas, etc. I've gone for days on end eating actual meals, which are phenomenal after 18+ miles of hiking with a loaded bag. I make use of anything around too. All berries that look good, mushrooms I know, various leaves, pine needles, birch bark,... Also there are some really good mre's on the market now, Backpackers Pantry has some nice options.
i do have a dehydrator . I use it for Jerky . I used to bring hard salami when hiking the Appalachian trail but quit after I had a black bear encounter over it . He won , lol . They do have some bougie mres these days . Ive only bought the military style and need to try some other stuff . Youre the 2nd person to tell ma that . I generally dont wait to be told something three times . Im gonna check them out .. thank you , sir

In the good ole days [ late 70's early 80's ] we didnt bring much out with us because there was most always plenty to score during the hike , just in case there wasnt a score . Back then , I always brought a can of hot dogs . I wrote a thread about those dogs and how they arent made anymore .. but my wife found a brand from Holland that is sold online and I bought a case . They arent as large or as good as the ones I got here years ago but theyre ok .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ok , get the f outta here ... whoa . Alright .. has anyone ever had this stuff ?

https://www.rei.com/product/134256/back ... le-serving
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:01 pm Ok , get the f outta here ... whoa . Alright .. has anyone ever had this stuff ?

Ok , im trying to imagine that ice cream product .. im struggling
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:35 am If I had a bug out bag I definitely would include salt and pepper packets and maybe some garlic powder.
Yes , those are must items ... and oil . Squirrel, which is plentiful in many places , really needs onion , garlic salt, flour or bread crumbs, salt and pepper

I've been lazy and have been bringing mres mostly . I'm talking out In the woods. Regular camping , I got all kinds of stoves and stuff. And pretty much cook anything I can cook at home
I've eaten fried squirrel before. You need a dozen to make a meal. Kinda like eating crabs with all the picking going on.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:03 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:01 pm Ok , get the f outta here ... whoa . Alright .. has anyone ever had this stuff ?

Same crap NASA takes or took, just freeze dried ice cream, they used to carry them at science museums back in the day, maybe still. Not bad, try one. For dessert I prefer the sticky mango rice from backpackers pantry, these bars can be crumbly. I dip it in coffee.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 pm

I've eaten fried squirrel before. You need a dozen to make a meal. Kinda like eating crabs with all the picking going on.
Youre in Jersey .. they got rats bigger than dogs there and monster squirrel :lol:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

This stuff was around circa 1970. I had some in my Christmas stocking one year. It was pretty strange, but it was also something fun to have tried.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ronv69
Founding Member

Yeah, I had some many years ago at NASA. It tasted OK, but it wasn't ice cream. If it was cheaper I would like it for the occasional snack.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Man, I've had fricaseed squirrel before that were plenty big enough. 2 leg quarters were a meal. We have one at our house that could feed a family and he's fed on our birdseed and sunflower seeds.
God and Texas!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:23 pm

Youre in Jersey .. they got rats bigger than dogs there and monster squirrel :lol:
The red ones are the good eatin' kinds. That's a negative on a rat. I rather starve. Lol
The Troll Whisperer