Zippo flame height?

ncrobb
Founding Member

The flame height on my Zippo is like two inches tall. Maybe more and it swirls around all over the place. I think using Coleman fuel makes it worse but even with Zippo fluid it flames out of control. I have taken out the packing and pulled the wick back so only about 3/16” is sticking out. It does this when I top it off and continues until it runs dry. This is a regular style, not a pipe insert style. Any suggestions?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Don't flood the packing when you fill it. That might tame the flame.
The Troll Whisperer
Riff89

I used to wayyy over fill my zippo to the point that it would be a fireball in my hand and I’d be waving it all over the place trying not to burn my parents house down. Ahh the memories.
ncrobb
Founding Member

You guys may be on to something. I don’t use it everyday and I hate picking it up and it’s empty so I give it a goooood shot when I fill it. I remember my grand father giving his a squirt every morning as part of his daily routine. His never went fire ball like I get.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:20 pm I used to wayyy over fill my zippo to the point that it would be a fireball in my hand and I’d be waving it all over the place trying not to burn my parents house down. Ahh the memories.
:lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I have used Coleman fuel and regular fluid for years with no problem. I fill with all it will take. Maybe you got one with an undersize wick or the hole in the lighter the wick passes through is oversize.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Last July 4th I was using an old Storm King to light fireworks. Overfilled it a bit - it flamed up all over - and when I tried to flick the lid closed the insert flew out and across my dry lawn like a medieval fireball, and continued to burn after it landed in the grass.

Good times. :lol:
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

There are few things more harmlessly beautiful than when you fill up a zippo and light it for the first time and you get that flame dance in the cap.

A ballet of flame. Try it. It is mesmerizing. A zippo lighter is handy and efficient and trustworthy. A zippo lighter is also aesthetically pleasing once you get used to it.

The first flame in the cover isn't hot. It is just for show. The real heat happens at the wick.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:50 pm There are few things more harmlessly beautiful than when you fill up a zippo and light it for the first time and you get that flame dance in the cap.

A ballet of flame. Try it. It is mesmerizing. A zippo lighter is handy and efficient and trustworthy. A zippo lighter is also aesthetically pleasing once you get used to it.

The first flame in the cover isn't hot. It is just for show. The real heat happens at the wick.
" Just for show " .. lol :D
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.