POY? ?

CoreyR
Founding Member

Sooooo, When are we going to have our first POY?
Just wondering....
CoreyR
Founding Member

......because, I don't have enough pipes or anything.....
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

In on brylon
Wildcrow
Founding Member

I'd do a Grabow...
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have never bought one. They just never looked like something I would buy - the bowls were too small, too pricey, etc. I *might* go for a bored out MM with a Walker stem though...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Can you still get new Grabow pots?

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm Can you still get new Grabow pots?
Oh yeah. Here's one. Kinda pricey though. https://wvsmokeshop.com/drgrabowroyaldukeg.aspx
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

I suspect this is a premature question. Are we at critical mass yet?

The last POY I got was the Meer. I think I got one in an earlier year when I was all swept up in being part of the 'in crowd' in the springtime of my pipe smoking career, but, for the life of me, I cannot tell you what it is. Maybe I'm just confabulating that other pipe, which wouldn't be unusual, but I tend to keep reality and daydreams straight in my head. Who knows? I have at least one: the Meer, and I never use it. It's a decent pipe but it isn't my go-to. It's my go-away. If the other pipe exists, it obviously has no place of importance in my rack hierarchy.

Now I'm going to sound like a downer....

I'm not against POY or any other gimmicks to build esprit de corps but, as @CoreyR notes about himself, I've got enough pipes. Its not like I light my POY and think, "Jeepers! Right now, all my pipe smoking brethren (and the two women that we know of who are members of PSFs) are smoking the same pipe right now." While we do live in a wonderful world and a pipe smokers' Circle of Life, I'm content to smoke what I've got and be happy with it.

I am forever a contrarian, and I am sure I'm of the minority opinion, as I often am ---I am happy to admit I enjoy M79, for instance--- but I wouldn't sign up for a PSFs' POY. I didn't even read the thread from last year about the PSF POY. The fact that I don't care, doesn't mean that no one else should, of course. Variety of opinions makes the world go round. I'm more interested in watching this community evolve and flourish, one post at a time, before we break out the champagne and christen some official merchandise. To anyone who thinks a POY will be a 'collectors item,' I've got some Beanie Babies you might be interested in.

I do not mean to be pooh-poohing or mocking the question. I think there is a time and a place and my gut instinct, upon which I've reflected as I've written all this, is that it's a bit early, like putting the cart before the horse. The forum's content is still a bit skimpy and, from what I can tell, we have 50 introductions. Wherever two or three may gather, there will be a pipe smokers' forum, of course, but is that enough to make a custom order tasty to a maker?

I am enjoying the company of everyone here, even if I get all your new handles and avatars mixed up in my head. If I don't realize who you are, I at least know that I will recognize you if I ask for some details. For example: "Oh, yeah that's Duke from back in the day." Back in the day being, what, a month ago? We've experienced a sea change. I'm still getting used to the format and not getting updates to threads I've posted in. My advice? Take a wait and see approach, see what new traditions are born without resurrecting the past, let the POY happen organically. Everything else, too. It's a brave new forum.

Pipes, the final frontier. These are the voyages of Pipe Smokers Forums. It's continuing mission: to explore strange new blends, to seek out new pipes and new pipe makers, to boldly go WHERE NO PIPE SMOKER HAS GONE BEFORE. DAH-dah-dah-dah---dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-DAH-da-da-da-DAH!

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I wonder if the shanks on a MM MT are standard enough in size we could get printed sleeves made to slip on the MM MT we buy (or have in inventory).

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Just so y'all know...I've nevah bought a POY and won't. I just don't see what the big deal is. I know Ruff was usually in on the POY in some way and someone always griped about people asking stuff and someone would get mad at someone...lol If y'all do decide to do it some day, just let me say here at the outset I won't be getting one and certainly won't be organizing anything! And I say that all the way from the bottom of my heart. I love y'all but not that much! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :o
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!