Filters

Wildcrow
Founding Member

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 am
Wildcrow wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 pm The paper ones I may use for 2 bowls, maybe 3. The balsa I will dry in the sun and use up to a dozen times.
I cant see how these dont taste like hot garbage. I know you wouldnt smoke hot garbage flavored pipes, so it must work, but it escapes logic. But then again, i smoke the same cob 5 or 6 bowls a day, Mon - Fri and i dont notice any off flavors a pipe cleaner wont fix.
Maybe it's like freshening up a cob. Toss it in some sunlight and the wicked rays work some magic on it that keeps it going like the energizer bunny
This makes me want that box of 100 savinelli filters even more. I believe in sunning my cobs for sure
Ronv69
Founding Member

I used to dry the balsa filters on the dashboard of my truck. It fixed the filters OK, but it didn't do much for the truck. I now dry them on the porch railing.
God and Texas!
Searock Fan

I have several Savinelli filter pipes I use to smoke an occasional aromatic. Here's how to save money on the filters. Instead of buying the actual filters. I go on ebay and buy a pack of balsa wood rods in the right size (3/16x1/8"). I cut them to length and that's it. Cost is about 10% the cost of filters and they work just as well. A tip: if you cut the ends on a slight angle the pipe draws better.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

If those Brigham filters are still in the box when
i get it I am snagging those.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Puff nstuff

Before I go ordering them from Carey, does anyone have any of the papyrus tube filters sitting around that they don't want anymore? I have a Magic Inch that I want to try out. Thanks.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Fidibusz

I remove the filters from any new cob that I buy. I have a Savinelli Linea Piu 5 that came with balsa filters. I did not care for the draw and it would obviously not pass a cleaner. It also came with an adapter for filter less smoking and that’s how I smoke it.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 am I used to dry the balsa filters on the dashboard of my truck. It fixed the filters OK, but it didn't do much for the truck. I now dry them on the porch railing.
This sounds like something @Fr_Tom would do.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Searock Fan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:39 pm I have several Savinelli filter pipes I use to smoke an occasional aromatic. Here's how to save money on the filters. Instead of buying the actual filters. I go on ebay and buy a pack of balsa wood rods in the right size (3/16x1/8"). I cut them to length and that's it. Cost is about 10% the cost of filters and they work just as well. A tip: if you cut the ends on a slight angle the pipe draws better.
I did that for a while, but then I just stopped using the filters. I use maybe 2 a year now.
God and Texas!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Citizen B wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:19 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 am I used to dry the balsa filters on the dashboard of my truck. It fixed the filters OK, but it didn't do much for the truck. I now dry them on the porch railing.
This sounds like something @Fr_Tom would do.
If I used filters, this would definitely be something I would do.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017