Cobblestone Brick Burley Plug

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:27 pm I just love good Burley blends and there's always room for one more. If it's another mediocre concoction it's just the price of a tin to find out.
Nothing like a good burley...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:27 pm I just love good Burley blends and there's always room for one more. If it's another mediocre concoction it's just the price of a tin to find out.
I am of the mind that a mediocre burley is still better than a good anything else.
What I am most interested in is if this blend has a lot of nic. I have been wanting a good rich plug style burley that won't leave me in a coma. This might be a pipe dream though.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
sisyphus
Person of Interest

received my tin today and I'll borrow my son's phone Saturday to snap a pic of the plug
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
rekamepip
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:24 pm received my tin today and I'll borrow my son's phone Saturday to snap a pic of the plug
:lurk:
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:44 pm
Hey @Fr_Tom Dont you smoke a lot of Pegasus? How would you describe it? I have been wanting to try some.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

mrpipster wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:38 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:44 pm
Hey @Fr_Tom Dont you smoke a lot of Pegasus? How would you describe it? I have been wanting to try some.
Pegasus is brilliant I think.

From my TR review:

"This is an excellent burley blend. I can see some black cavendish in the loose tobacco, but it is not flavored. There is not much Virginia here, but it contributes to a slightly sweet note every now and then. This is mostly burley goodness. The taste profile has some oats and has some bitter notes especially in the last half of the bowl.

Think of a slightly stronger Carter Hall with no topping. If you like burley, you will like this blend."

Try some!

Old Ted Award - 2017
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Thanks.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
sisyphus
Person of Interest

it's firmer than a Hearth & Home or C&D kake. Not what I'd call a plug, but firmer than I expected it to be. Almost looks like a plug and I thought I'd have to shave off flakes with a knife at first glance, but it crumbles like any kake.

My initial impression smoking this is a sweet and cocoa-y topping, but in a good way. That initial impression fades after a couple minutes and what you're left with is a Burley that smokes like an elevated drug store Burley. It's sweet, nutty and a little chocolate on the finish if you look hard enough. It also reminds me a little of both Amphora Original and HH Burley Flake, which is praise.

I really like it, but do I like it at tin prices? If I'm paying full retail there are Burleys I'd take over this. If this tobacco was available in bulk I think I might have 2 pounds in a shopping cart, because it's right up my alley and it's different than my favorites.

Best comparison I can make is a sweetened homage to codger Burley, and I don't think any of us would dislike it. I'll happily smoke my tin but it remains to be seen if it's something I'd ever reorder.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

overall, very good for a Sutliff offering, but not going to make the Benchmark Burleys list
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:25 pm overall, very good for a Sutliff offering, but not going to make the Benchmark Burleys list
It does seem to fall in that perfectly good but not worth the price delta over other perfectly good things...

Old Ted Award - 2017