First Pipe

Puff nstuff

I was out in the barn the other day, rummaging through stuff that was packed away haphazardly over 20 years ago, when I needed to get what remained of my personal things out of my parents' house and bring them to mine. One of the things I was able to uncover was the very first pipe that I bought more than 30 years ago. I had remembered it to be a Barling billiard, but it turned out to be a Dublin/zulu shape - a Barling Londoner 4805. I just gave it a quick cleaning, and she appears ready for action once again. Welcome back, old friend.

Anyone else still remember or own their very first pipe?
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I still have mine. It's pretty much unsmokeable after taking me through the learning curve over the course of about five years as my main pipe.

I am not nostalgic about it but it does make me smile when I see it. "Ah, yes! My first love," I say out loud.

You never forget your first pipe.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Nope. Mine got lost in a moving.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:37 pm I was out in the barn the other day, rummaging through stuff that was packed away haphazardly over 20 years ago, when I needed to get what remained of my personal things out of my parents' house and bring them to mine. One of the things I was able to uncover was the very first pipe that I bought more than 30 years ago. I had remembered it to be a Barling billiard, but it turned out to be a Dublin/zulu shape - a Barling Londoner 4805. I just gave it a quick cleaning, and she appears ready for action once again. Welcome back, old friend.

Very Nice !
Puff nstuff

rekamepip wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:55 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:37 pm I was out in the barn the other day, rummaging through stuff that was packed away haphazardly over 20 years ago, when I needed to get what remained of my personal things out of my parents' house and bring them to mine. One of the things I was able to uncover was the very first pipe that I bought more than 30 years ago. I had remembered it to be a Barling billiard, but it turned out to be a Dublin/zulu shape - a Barling Londoner 4805. I just gave it a quick cleaning, and she appears ready for action once again. Welcome back, old friend.

Very Nice !
Thank you! Obviously my lighting technique was not up to snuff way back when, as the rim shows a bit of char. I look forward to figuring out what sort of tobacco will work well with it. I mostly smoke filtered pipes now, and this one isn't filtered.
Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Thats awesome talk about a reunion of old companions. It must be meant to be
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I think its great you found it !! Its rare for someone to have their first pipe if its been decades . Im lucky to have mine from 79 . I always cracks me up because I dont have my 2nd through 30th pipe , or whatever , but I have my first :)

Enjoy it !!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I regularly smoke a set of matched Falcons w / Genoa bowls that a pipe smoking uncle gave me for high school graduation . . . 49 years past.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Ronv69
Founding Member

Mine is pack in a box somewhere. Has been for the last 30+ years. It's a Peterson System Standard that l picked up at the Shannon Airport in 84. The search for it started me on this journey 8 years and 200+ pipes ago. I still have hope of finding it before I die.
God and Texas!
Puff nstuff

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:16 pm I think its great you found it !! Its rare for someone to have their first pipe if its been decades . Im lucky to have mine from 79 . I always cracks me up because I dont have my 2nd through 30th pipe , or whatever , but I have my first :)

Enjoy it !!
:lol: I like having this in common with you, Ruff!