I need help

Jlando19

These are the bees knees when it comes to the type of sharpener sysiphus mentioned. Who wants to spend that though!?
https://wickededgeusa.com/

Angle is most important as was already noted here. I've seen guys use a penny or two dimes to determine angle. Though you still have to have the muscle memory to maintain that angle. They do make guides that slip onto the spine to help aid in keeping the angle.

Stopping is important and has been mentioned. I can also use the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug for quick sharpening. If it hasn't been glazed over of course. In a pinch and with even better results I've used the edge of the glass on my car window to hone a razor sharp edge once I've got good cutting bevels established.

Finally and often the most overlooked point is that if you have shit metal at a shit hardness through the application of shit metallurgical treatment. You will never be able to sharpen said knife.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Jlando19 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 pm These are the bees knees when it comes to the type of sharpener sysiphus mentioned. Who wants to spend that though!?
https://wickededgeusa.com/
I do. I did. And it is. Lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 pm I have a well outfitted wicked edge set up because I too suck at sharpening knives. Sure wish I had seen this post earlier Ruff. Somewhere in the garage I think I have a different clamp style system that we could have made a deal on
Is it the Lansky precision setup? I was looking at these, but it seems like it would take freaking ages unless you are using it on a small knife with a more traditional point. You got a tanto or strange angle changes, or just a longer blade, it seems like you'd be at it for an hour reclamping to maintain the angles.

It's funny, I didn't see this thread, but I've been looking at sharpeners lately. Seeing all the contraptions makes me think sticking to a whetstone, and my rattail rod for serrations. The only place that I thought maybe the Lansky would shine is setting an angle on some of the seriously jacked up old knives I have.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Houtenziel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 pm I have a well outfitted wicked edge set up because I too suck at sharpening knives. Sure wish I had seen this post earlier Ruff. Somewhere in the garage I think I have a different clamp style system that we could have made a deal on
Is it the Lansky precision setup? I was looking at these, but it seems like it would take freaking ages unless you are using it on a small knife with a more traditional point. You got a tanto or strange angle changes, or just a longer blade, it seems like you'd be at it for an hour reclamping to maintain the angles.

It's funny, I didn't see this thread, but I've been looking at sharpeners lately. Seeing all the contraptions makes me think sticking to a whetstone, and my rattail rod for serrations. The only place that I thought maybe the Lansky would shine is setting an angle on some of the seriously jacked up old knives I have.
It's one of these buggers
https://vipersharp.com/product-category ... ener-kits/

Kind of like a lansky on a mild dose of steroids. They're definitely better suited to a traditional shaped blade on the smaller side. A traditional 8" chef knife or whatever would require a re-clamp I think
Bamarick

This Lansky 5-Stone System should be in my hands tomorrow.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

This thing is driving me nuts
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

There's a reason these are regarded as one of the best
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm This thing is driving me nuts
Sorry, but it's years too late.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

I guess I don't need the nt'h degree of sharpness. The Work Sharp does a fantastic job for most of my knives and the ones that have trouble I know the reasons why. Who has the time to work thru the complicated setups besides a custom knife maker? And then you have to keep all those little pieces organized. Not for me.
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'm the type that fixates on details. I have notes on the knives that I've sharpened using the wicked edge so that when they need to be tuned up its easily repeatable. I think there's something to be said for a precise edge on a blade. My kitchen knives are decent run of the mill blades. Henckles pro or pro s ( I forget which, doesn't matter) My chefs knife sees the most use of course. I last sharpened that knife 2 years ago and while it's not a razor it will still easily slice anything. Luck? Maybe. Awesome steel? Maybe. Precision edge? Maybe. All I know is that I have plenty of worse ways to spend time than sharpening knives while having a smoke and listening to some music