Taxes Are Coming

sisyphus
Person of Interest

I know we've been saying this for the last decade, but we're finally here. Get what you need now.
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Are they getting hiked up higher? Or what exactly is going on?
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
sisyphus
Person of Interest

there's a bill in committee that would add about $50/pound tax to pipe tobacco.
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

What's that old saying.. death an taxes something or the other?

Edit - man.. 50 bucks a lb.. at that rate weed is going to be cheaper than tobacco. What's that other old saying.. if democrats didn't have double standards they'd have none at all.. something or the other.
Last edited by Houtenziel on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like another cellaring run is imminent for me then
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
Middle Earth

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

I didn't have an opinion on the regulation of vaping products until I visited an e-liquid manufacturing 'laboratory.' It is a facility which makes all of the products sold by a multi-state chain of vaping stores, and what I saw there was terrifying:

Imagine an old auto garage with broken windows filled with barrels marked only "China", and a small crew of off-the-books illegal immigrants, none capable of reading MSDS, mixing up batches of e-liquid with all the precision of kitchen measuring cups. An easy target for regulation.

The worst of the taxes I have seen so far on pipe tobacco were local (city) taxes which have the effect of tripling or quadrupling the price of bulks and tins at some B&Ms, which is why depending on where you live you can still find nice aged tins of tobacco in B&Ms - nobody is buying them, because they know what they cost online.

A few years ago I mentioned to another pipe smoker that I was even hoarding OTCs like Prince Albert and Carter Hall and they didn't seem to think that was necessary. "Those will never go away." Just wait until a social justice warrior points out publically that Carter Hall was a plantation - and you can kiss that one goodbye forever.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Is this to Tobacco Tax Equity Act ?
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Anyway that is what I was just reading about that the ttea hit the senate floor on April 22

With the powers that “be in office” now
I’m sure this will pass with very little resistance and depending on when it will then be enacted upon

We will be screwed
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Just ran this information by MrsRekamepip
She was good with me ordering up some more bagged tobacco that we might need as well - for rolling

The she asks don’t we have enough ?
And then asks
“ well what is all of that in the jars around here”

🤣