Cigar with a toothpick?

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Has anyone used a toothpick to smoke the butt end of a cigar, hobo-style?

I can't see how it's a great technique, but I've never been a hobo---though I've come close. They're used to lots of fresh air. Plus, I think the draw holes created by the toothpick could make the cigar last longer, so there's that if it's true.

I've never tried. Maybe someone here has experience.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The tooth pick thing works . I dont do it but Ive tried it . It kinda helps keep it to where you dont have to completely " mouth " it , for lack of a better term .

Thing about hobos is that they appreciate food in general , especially good food . Sterno heated beans can be appreciated if youre hungry but restaurant food .. a hobo would really appreciate .

One evening as the sun went down
And the jungle fire was burning
Down the track came a hobo hiking
And he said, "Boys, I'm not turning"
"I'm headed for a land that's far away
Besides the crystal fountains
So come with me, we'll go and see
The Big Rock Candy Mountains"
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
There's a land that's fair and bright
Where the handouts grow on bushes
And you sleep out every night
Where the boxcars all are empty
And the sun shines every day
And the birds and the bees
And the cigarette trees
The lemonade springs
Where the bluebird sings
All the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
The farmers' trees are full of fruit
And the barns are full of hay
Oh, I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow
Where the rain don't fall
The winds don't blow
You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks
The brakemen have to tip their hats
And the railway bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew
And of whiskey too
You can paddle all around it
In a big canoe
The jails are made of tin
And you can walk right out again
As soon as you are in
There ain't no short-handled shovels
No axes, saws nor picks
I'm goin' to stay
Where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk
That invented work
I'll see you all this coming fall
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

I dunno. It kinda reminds me of a roach clip.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I’ve done it. Back on the WMMCAYST on 1.0 I demonstrated the technique with a Magellan Dominican. I looked for the pictures but they belong to the ages now.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm I’ve done it. Back on the WMMCAYST on 1.0 I demonstrated the technique with a Magellan Dominican. I looked for the pictures but they belong to the ages now.
Future historians won't have anything to study. That's the thing with digital---it disappears. I miss the card catalogue in the library.

That's why I keep a paper diary buried in a time capsule in my back yard. Maybe the Eloi will find it and wise up. You never know.

I used a toothpick today but it was a big one with a frilly end used to hold together a sandwich. You can't walk around town with a frilly toothpick in your teeth. It's also not wise to carry one in your mouth when you are riding a motor scooter on New Orleans' notoriously bumpy streets.

I remember when you pulled out the toothpick on that Magellan.

I can't remember the last time I saw someone doing it on the street. I also have never seen anyone carrying a bindle stick, either. You can't own a lot if all your possessions fit in a handkerchief. That's why every cigar butt counts. Appreciate the good things in life while you can and make the most of it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ironclad

I've used a toothpick to poke holes in the cap so I could smoke it but I never loved a cigar that much to roach it.
Mischief managed.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Citizen B wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm I’ve done it. Back on the WMMCAYST on 1.0 I demonstrated the technique with a Magellan Dominican. I looked for the pictures but they belong to the ages now.

I used a toothpick today but it was a big one with a frilly end used to hold together a sandwich.
Is there any other kind, really? The first color that popped into my noggin was red...or rouge if you prefer.
Citizen B wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm

It's also not wise to carry one in your mouth when you are riding a motor scooter on New Orleans' notoriously bumpy streets.

You'd wind up looking like a voodoo doll.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Big Rock Candy Mountain. Great Woody Guthrie song. Who knew Joe Ho-Tep and friends would take it seriously enough to try to put it in practice. Better stock up on toothpicks just in case the cigarette trees don't bloom this year or get wiped out in the California wildfires. Its all global warming you know if it fails. Otherwise the Guthrie plan will work. All the special congressional studies said so. Darn weather. The sooner we install global heating and air conditioning the better.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm Maybe the Eloi will find it and wise up. You never know.
It's increasingly looking like the Morlocks will triumph in this iteration of sci-fi-becomes-reality. The "New Review" version.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ironclad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 pm I've used a toothpick to poke holes in the cap so I could smoke it but I never loved a cigar that much to roach it.
The aerator spike on a pipe tool does wonders for me.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.