New Dr. Grabow Collection

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

So I somehow hit the jackpot and got a hold of this beautiful old pharmacy display. All unsmoked. Dr. Grabow’s. I’m not sure about dating these, i’ll need to do some research. But now I can either smoke them or leave them unsmoked. I really don’t know what to do. I don’t buy collectables like this for this exact reason. These Grabows are stunning, compared to today’s. I’ll get up some more pictures soon.

ImageImageImageImage
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:50 am So I somehow hit the jackpot and got a hold of this beautiful old pharmacy display. All unsmoked. Dr. Grabow’s. I’m not sure about dating these, i’ll need to do some research. But now I can either smoke them or leave them unsmoked. I really don’t know what to do. I don’t buy collectables like this for this exact reason. These Grabows are stunning, compared to today’s. I’ll get up some more pictures soon.

ImageImageImageImage
Very nice . . . I would smoke and enjoy them.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
rekamepip
Codger in Training

+1 Smoke them
Keep the display card
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Shmoke ‘em up
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I am voting for smoking them too.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Smoke em
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

My natural inclination is to smoke these but they could be worth a lot of money some day in unsmoked condition. Smoked condition, they'll be 4 for $5 at the Salvation Army. These pipes, and all the accompanying ephemera, which is equally important for the whole package, could fund a devil-may-care lifestyle on the French Riviera if you are patient enough. Think about it. Cannes! Movie stars! Escargots! If you smoke these pipes and break up this set, you will be gambling with your future and potentially kicking yourself when you are sleeping in a hobo village twenty years from now.

Food for thought.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:44 pm My natural inclination is to smoke these but they could be worth a lot of money some day in unsmoked condition. Smoked condition, they'll be 4 for $5 at the Salvation Army. These pipes, and all the accompanying ephemera, which is equally important for the whole package, could fund a devil-may-care lifestyle on the French Riviera if you are patient enough. Think about it. Cannes! Movie stars! Escargots! If you smoke these pipes and break up this set, you will be gambling with your future and potentially kicking yourself when you are sleeping in a hobo village twenty years from now.

Food for thought.
So how long do you think until I would see a turnaround that big? I’m guessing these grabows can be from the 50-60s. Will there be any pipe smokers even left in 10 years?
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:35 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:44 pm My natural inclination is to smoke these but they could be worth a lot of money some day in unsmoked condition. Smoked condition, they'll be 4 for $5 at the Salvation Army. These pipes, and all the accompanying ephemera, which is equally important for the whole package, could fund a devil-may-care lifestyle on the French Riviera if you are patient enough. Think about it. Cannes! Movie stars! Escargots! If you smoke these pipes and break up this set, you will be gambling with your future and potentially kicking yourself when you are sleeping in a hobo village twenty years from now.

Food for thought.
So how long do you think until I would see a turnaround that big? I’m guessing these grabows can be from the 50-60s. Will there be any pipe smokers even left in 10 years?
Demand will take care of itself. You have the supply. You have bought (relatively) low. Sell high.

Do the math, the original purchase price of these pipes are right there on the cardboard. Time your offering on the market right and you might just find yourself the world's newest scrillionaire. That's called delayed satisfaction where I'm from. Some people call it "The Last Laugh."
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Food for thought.
CB, advocatus diaboli was abolished in 1983! Abe, smoke those pipes, don't crush their poor, little pipe souls!

BTW, if no shape number is stamped on them they are post 1981. As for the blue spades, Tom Douglas, former Grabow CEO, told me that they even used the blue spades after 1981, the year they began the switch to ABS stems. He said he knew they were still using the color spades in the late 1980s and had phased them out by 1994 or so. All of the preceeding depends on my memory.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!