Never Loaning a gun again.

Ronv69
Founding Member

I enjoy fixing up abused old guns more than anything. You can probably refinish the steel and minimize the the pits. It will probably hunt just fine and you don't have to worry about it getting the first scratch.
God and Texas!
Hawkwood

Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool works wonders without damaging bluing.
Riff89

Hawkwood wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 pm Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool works wonders without damaging bluing.
That’s the plan. I am going to spend some time cleaning it up this winter and getting it back to where it needs to be. The bead is broken off so I will have to try and get the old one out with an ez out and replace it. Clean up the muzzle where it got dinged etc. it became a project that I didn’t want lol.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

:barf:
Riff89 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:38 am
Wildcrow wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 am @Riff89 , do you have the gun back? Does it shoot? If so, and if you are willing, birchwood casey makes a fantastic kit for refurbing the furniture and ive used it a few times with incredible success.

I agree with everyone here. Never loan a gun.
Yes I’ve got it back, haven’t shot it yet that’s this afternoon’s chore. I ended up finding a new buttstock on eBay for it the forearm Is still in pretty good shape so I will have the wood taken care of it’ll just be all the rust and pitting I have to deal with.
:barf:
That sucks
Riff89

Well gents. I happened to find a side by side double barrel today for a decent price used. It fits the bill of what I was looking for something in decent shape used and in 16. The stock has been refinished and she’s been used but overall a good looking grouse gun. Now the single shot 16 will be cleaned up over the winter and put back into service next year. My brother in law gave me fair market price in cash for the damage. Lesson learned for both of us I assume. He feels pretty bad about it all so all’s well that ends well I suppose
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Riff89 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 am My brother in law gave me fair market price in cash for the damage. Lesson learned for both of us I assume. He feels pretty bad about it all so all’s well that ends well I suppose
Thank goodness - this is the resolution that was needed. Now y'all can both leave it behind you and speak no more of it.
Riff89

This is the new (to me) grousing gun.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:14 pm Image

That's a beautiful gun! I ❤ SxS's
The Troll Whisperer
Riff89

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it. It’s nothing fancy just an old Stevens I’m guessing it was made in the sixties. It’s been refinished. So it will make a perfect woods gun. It’s my first Double I’ve had semis, Pumps, singles and even one bolt action shotgun but never a double. It’s going to take a bit to get used to and I’ll probably miss my fair share of birds but hey that’s half the fun right.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it. It’s nothing fancy just an old Stevens I’m guessing it was made in the sixties. It’s been refinished. So it will make a perfect woods gun. It’s my first Double I’ve had semis, Pumps, singles and even one bolt action shotgun but never a double. It’s going to take a bit to get used to and I’ll probably miss my fair share of birds but hey that’s half the fun right.
You're going to like it a lot... RST makes nice cartridges for older guns, don't shoot waterfowl loads in that, steel will destroy those barrels. I take it those are fixed bores?
The Troll Whisperer