Cleaning Stems

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Some people do, let's hear from them how they go about it. It's no secret I burn oxidation off and have never used a buffer, just high grit sanding and toothpaste.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Buffer / Tripoli / Carnuba . Im curious to read the newer ways :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 pm Some people do, let's hear from them how they go about it. It's no secret I burn oxidation off and have never used a buffer, just high grit sanding and toothpaste.
You use an alcohol lamp ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ironclad

I always used a buffer with some tripoli and then carnuba. I have used Comet and an old toothbrush to good effect followed by some of that wax compound they sell on the pipe sites. I have also used a Dremel with an old school toothpaste (no gels) and that works with a little trial and error. I don't like the idea of sand paper because I like rusticate pipes, not stems. I wouldn't try that Mr Clean wipe or that Tide pen for any amount of money because chemistry is real, yo!

Whew! That's more words than I normally use in a week! I'm done - Seacrest out!
Mischief managed.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Candle. I just did half this Starfire stem for an example. Grand total investment of about one minute time. I will always remove oxidation this way.
ImageImage
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I used to diligently sand through the grits and then polish. Since you brought my attention to the burn treatment that's what I do followed by a hand application of flitz polish. I keep wanting to try toothpaste but I always forget to buy a tube of the traditional stuff. I'd use a buffing wheel in my drill press but that's in the forgot to purchase category too
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Silver
Certified Codger

Same as @Mr Beardsley, but I use toothpaste for final buffing. Follow up with Obsidian oil.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:34 pm I used to diligently sand through the grits and then polish. Since you brought my attention to the burn treatment that's what I do followed by a hand application of flitz polish. I keep wanting to try toothpaste but I always forget to buy a tube of the traditional stuff. I'd use a buffing wheel in my drill press but that's in the forgot to purchase category too
It's just so much faster. Poof, oxidation gone. If you blink you'll miss it. A buffer might expedite things but I can quickly work from 800 or so up to 2000 with little scraps of paper and polish with a cottonball and nearly empty tube of toothpaste. Saves room and money for tobacco.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:36 pm Same as @Mr Beardsley, but I use toothpaste for final buffing. Follow up with Obsidian oil.
Do you use toothpaste in the airway too?
Silver
Certified Codger

No toothpaste in the airway.