Best cigar you ever smoked

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ironclad wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 pm
ironclad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:27 pm The first Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur #1 Mad I ever smoked was perfect. Even burn, bleach white ash, clean flavor, lovely oil ring around the lit end...perfect. Then the cigar boom hit and production quality dipped a bit but that is still my "go to" cigar. Every time I smoke one I think of that first one.
yeah , the boom .. it drove me nuts . I think they changed up the blend on the Excalibur somewhere in the boom years . They kept the regular label hoyo and punch stuff consistant . . It sfunny , you still see " vintage " 90s leaf today , which means it sucked that bad to where even now theres still some left
LOL! I still have some cigars in the humidor from those days. You know, I still have half a box or so of Troya Maduro in there. I think it was you posting about those and you are right about those. Of course, before the boom cigars were about balanced flavors, a decent, smooth draw, and an even, clean burn instead of strong, one-dimensional tastes with loose draws so you can smoke a 7 inch 66 ring gauge on your lunch. But I'm not bitter...
Bingo ! What cracks me up about the current times is that a majority of cigars are so fat and or long . Theres always the thing about ... " well , the larger the ring gauge , the easier it is to create a blend " .... ok , bite me . Then way arent these modern cigars like off teh chart !!! lol
Show me a producer who makes a stellar corona and I'll introduce you to a master . God , I hate the modern cigar world , I truly do . I hate the lame " cool " names , the art on the labels and the fact that so many are just what you said .. one dimensional smokes . I miss the days before the boom . Those Troya for example .. Id order them and when I popped a box , theyd be covered lightly in ploom [ spelling ? ] The wrapper was like soft leather and the flavors were so smooth , mild/med and fragrant

I miss the vast sizes . I mean , I would have reps come in with their size trays of what they carried .. from cigarillos to huge monsters ... but everything in between as well . Like I mentioned , I prefer a Lonsdale ... The Hoyo de Monterey Cuban Largo was pretty much a lonsdale and I smoked one every morning making my rounds picking stuff up for the shop . I wasnt a SWR/Cob in the am at that time ... Cuban Largo / espresso [ 2 or 3 of them , lol ] every damn day except sunday
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

@ironclad ... what state do you live in ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

I had my pick of cubans when i was in afghanistan. Cuban Romeo #2 tubos were my favorite, with cohibas coming in close second.
However, i prefer nicaraguan stogies as a rule, and Padron 80 years are a delicacy. I was a cigar guy when i had the money to buy whatever i wanted.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Wildcrow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:08 pm I had my pick of cubans when i was in afghanistan. Cuban Romeo #2 tubos were my favorite, with cohibas coming in close second.
However, i prefer nicaraguan stogies as a rule, and Padron 80 years are a delicacy. I was a cigar guy when i had the money to buy whatever i wanted.
What were you paying for them?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Wildcrow
Founding Member

mrpipster wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:13 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:08 pm I had my pick of cubans when i was in afghanistan. Cuban Romeo #2 tubos were my favorite, with cohibas coming in close second.
About $4 each for the tubos. I dont remember the cohiba cost because i thought they were mediocre, even compared to quorum. The tubos were so dang creamy and i bought them by the boxload
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Wildcrow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 pm
About $4 each for the tubos
Wow. Thats cheap.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

mrpipster wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:20 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 pm

About $4 each for the tubos
Wow. Thats cheap.
I payed $5 for a carton of cigarettes in the bazaar. $10 a carton for better quality.
A carton of Dunhill cigs cost me $30. They didnt think cuban cigars were as special as we do, but they also only sold cuban made cigars.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Im finding them for $6.40 a stick on the second website i visited. Makes me feel like i overpayed, all things considered
ironclad

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:59 pm @ironclad ... what state do you live in ?
Currently, I live in Texas but I was a tobacconist in Missouri before I moved here. I started in '93 and I well remember the cigars before the boom got 'em. I used to smoke cigars daily but they changed and I just couldn't change with them, I guess. Of course pipe tobacco has changed, too. When I was learning the trade, a blend was considered a heavy latakia if it had 7% - 12% latakia but now! Well...

Of course now I tend to smoke Virginia and Vaper flakes for the most part.
Mischief managed.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Where in Missouri?