Let's See Your Princes

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

kschatey wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:14 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 pm I like a wee pipe and these seem to be smallish bowls. How much tobacco do they hold compared to a standard pipe or this just an outside dimension/shape thing? I like the shape but I don't think I own one.
The shape comes is a range of sizes, so definitely look at the chamber dimensions. I love the prince because they are typically wider and shallower than many other shapes. Similar to a pot shape, I guess, but I also really love the overall asthetics of the shape (escept for a few makers).

Savinelli 315KS and the similar Rossi 315 are "full-size" bowls. The Comoy is as well. The Kaywoodie is a bit smaller with the Medico and Grabow a bit smaller yet.
I have always viewed the prince as a pot variant. The GBD is a 7/8 in ID - pretty sure without checking. It might be 13/16.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
kschatey

I think this is a prince, right?
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

kschatey wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:17 pm I think this is a prince, right?
Yep.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

ImageImage
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:56 am
kschatey wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:14 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 pm I like a wee pipe and these seem to be smallish bowls. How much tobacco do they hold compared to a standard pipe or this just an outside dimension/shape thing? I like the shape but I don't think I own one.
The shape comes is a range of sizes, so definitely look at the chamber dimensions. I love the prince because they are typically wider and shallower than many other shapes. Similar to a pot shape, I guess, but I also really love the overall asthetics of the shape (escept for a few makers).

Savinelli 315KS and the similar Rossi 315 are "full-size" bowls. The Comoy is as well. The Kaywoodie is a bit smaller with the Medico and Grabow a bit smaller yet.
I have always viewed the prince as a pot variant...
Interesting, I always thought apple.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
kschatey

mrpipster wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:20 pm
Yep.
Thought so; wanted to confirm since the picture wasn't great. Saw that pipe on eBay and just bought it to complete my KYM price trifecta. K & M were both new and rusticated, but the Y is used and smooth (and it needs some work). I'm pleased. Haven't been seeing to may Y-B pipes in general or Y-B prince specifically available used or new.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:32 pm Interesting, I always thought apple.
I'm with Tom, they always seemed like a Pot variant to me, actual chamber size varies like any shape, they are typically on the short/wide side like a Pot but generally the Prince shape has a shorter/leaner shank and longer slightly curved stem.

I always though the Apple was more of a Billiard variant, similar chamber size ratio width/depth but plump. Easy to confuse some "Apples" with a Prince once they start getting squashed.
Riff89

Here’s one of my hillbilly princes. I think I sent one of these to @Ruffinogold years ago.
ironclad

A prince shape is a variant of a squashed apple bowl made popular by Edward, Prince of Wales.

It can be either bent or straight.
Mischief managed.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Looks like a Prince Andrew. Better keep an eye on it.
God and Texas!