Not Very New

Middle Earth

I know this Brother …. He would not remember me
Greetings and Salutations From the Springfield Plateau
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm
cigrmaster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:48 pm I have been on pipe sites since their inception and have had the same handle the whole time.
I am originally from Boston. I moved to Rhode Island when I opened my first business which was an up scale pool hall in 1990. I bought the plaza the pool hall was in back in 1994. I had the best location in R.I and my plaza was always full. I ended up closing the pool hall and I sold the plaza in 2017 at just the right time and now I am retired and I smoke my pipes constantly.

I got into pipes around 1998. My cigar buddy wouldn't stop bugging me till I tried the pipe. After a number of years smoking cigars and pipes, I sold off my cigar and went pipes only. I sold 1550 cigars in a 6 hour period and kept maybe 300 or so for future use. I ended up getting rid of those last 300 to my attorney( he was a good friend) for work he had done for me.

I have been a flake lover since the beginning. I only collect American artisan pipes as I believe in helping out our guys. I had my years of collecting Castello's, old Caminetto's, Formers, Rainer Barbi's and other Danish pipes. After re doing my collection a few times I have concluded that bang for the buck, nothing compares to my American artisan pipes. People like Rad Davis, Jack Howell, Bruce Weaver, Scott Thile, Brian Ruthenberg to name just a few.

I recently did a large culling making room for more Jack Howell pipes. My 36 count cabinet is full. I have 2 large group 6's that won't fit in either of my racks so they sit in a basket. My other rack holds 15 pipes and I plan on filling it and that will be the extent off my collection. I recently culled around 60 pipes and it feels good to have a firm number to go after.

You guys must be bored to tears with my story but I figured this intro would be better than just saying my name and that I smoke pipes.
What town in Rhode Island are we talking about? Where do you live now?

It is nice to meet you. Welcome aboard.

Do you like the band Yes?
Thanks for the welcome and Yes is my favorite group. My plaza and pool hall were on Bald Hill Rd in Warwick. My plaza sat next to Staples. I was across the street from Target and half aa mile from Home Depot and Best Buy.
I now live in Sarasota Florida. I don't miss the cold.
Harris
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Thanks for the warm welcome guys it is appreciated. I totally forgot I signed up here a couple of years ago. I suffer from some dementia so if I forget someone please don't take it personally.
Harris
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I had a girlfriend in Jersey many many years ago and Close to the Edge was our favorite " doing it " album for a time . I really dig yes and if I had to pick a favorite , i might lean toward Relayer ... its a mind blower and Howes guitar work was just staggering , as usual , but with something else .
The battle in Gates of Delirium ........ holy shit , ya know
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:42 pm I had a girlfriend in Jersey many many years ago and Close to the Edge was our favorite " doing it " album for a time . I really dig yes and if I had to pick a favorite , i might lean toward Relayer ... its a mind blower and Howes guitar work was just staggering , as usual , but with something else .
mrpipster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:47 pm
cigrmaster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:48 pm I have been on pipe sites since their inception and have had the same handle the whole time.
I am originally from Boston. I moved to Rhode Island when I opened my first business which was an up scale pool hall in 1990. I bought the plaza the pool hall was in back in 1994. I had the best location in R.I and my plaza was always full. I ended up closing the pool hall and I sold the plaza in 2017 at just the right time and now I am retired and I smoke my pipes constantly.

I got into pipes around 1998. My cigar buddy wouldn't stop bugging me till I tried the pipe. After a number of years smoking cigars and pipes, I sold off my cigar and went pipes only. I sold 1550 cigars in a 6 hour period and kept maybe 300 or so for future use. I ended up getting rid of those last 300 to my attorney( he was a good friend) for work he had done for me.

I have been a flake lover since the beginning. I only collect American artisan pipes as I believe in helping out our guys. I had my years of collecting Castello's, old Caminetto's, Formers, Rainer Barbi's and other Danish pipes. After re doing my collection a few times I have concluded that bang for the buck, nothing compares to my American artisan pipes. People like Rad Davis, Jack Howell, Bruce Weaver, Scott Thile, Brian Ruthenberg to name just a few.

I recently did a large culling making room for more Jack Howell pipes. My 36 count cabinet is full. I have 2 large group 6's that won't fit in either of my racks so they sit in a basket. My other rack holds 15 pipes and I plan on filling it and that will be the extent off my collection. I recently culled around 60 pipes and it feels good to have a firm number to go after.

You guys must be bored to tears with my story but I figured this intro would be better than just saying my name and that I smoke pipes.
Nah. Were not bored. We all like talking pipes and tobacco. Do you collect anything else? Like vintage empty tins?
I don't collect anything but pipes and tobacco. If having 3 lexus is a collection then I have one, 3 of my 4 kids are driving them. I can't drive anymore so I have a Dodge Caravan which works well for my wheel chair. My oldest son lives with me and he uses it to take me to doctor appointments and that is about it. I don't get out too much as it just hurts too badly. My oldest missed the big Lexus give away as he was in Cali for 10 years and he got his own car that gets 45mpg. My youngest daughter kind of got shafted as hers is a v8 and it is not great on gas. It shrill beats a car payment. I used to run large car dealerships out side of Boston in the 80's and I cannot count the number of cars I appraised over the years. I stole all the Lexus and I really stole the Caravan. The owner was stuck in Canada and couldn't come get his Caravan. He had a friend sell it for him and it only had 50K miles on it. It had every option with the good engine the 2.6 ltr Mitsubishi. He just wanted to get rid of him so I showed up with cash and made the deal.

I do miss managing car dealers and I especially miss training sales killers who had no mercy. My guys all made 50k plus their first year in the business which was back in 1986. That was a good years pay back then. I had months making over 10 grand a month when I was a truck manager. The owner decided I should not be making more than the General Sales Manager so of course my pay plan was a adjusted. I had been strictly commission running the truck department and I took Central Dodge from # 35 in the zone of New England all the way to number 3 in only a few short months. They set up a plan where they never believed I could hit those lofty numbers.

Typical car business, they gave me a 50k yearly salary and then 5% of the total net of the sales department. I took a 15k hit in pay but I was still making a killing. If you guys want I can start a thread with some of the funniest shit we ever pulled in the car biz. I have a feeling you wouldn't be able to conceive the shit we pulled. Just let me know if you want some good laughs.
Harris
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

cigrmaster wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:20 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:42 pm I had a girlfriend in Jersey many many years ago and Close to the Edge was our favorite " doing it " album for a time . I really dig yes and if I had to pick a favorite , i might lean toward Relayer ... its a mind blower and Howes guitar work was just staggering , as usual , but with something else .
mrpipster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Nah. Were not bored. We all like talking pipes and tobacco. Do you collect anything else? Like vintage empty tins?
I don't collect anything but pipes and tobacco. If having 3 lexus is a collection then I have one, 3 of my 4 kids are driving them. I can't drive anymore so I have a Dodge Caravan which works well for my wheel chair. My oldest son lives with me and he uses it to take me to doctor appointments and that is about it. I don't get out too much as it just hurts too badly. My oldest missed the big Lexus give away as he was in Cali for 10 years and he got his own car that gets 45mpg. My youngest daughter kind of got shafted as hers is a v8 and it is not great on gas. It shrill beats a car payment. I used to run large car dealerships out side of Boston in the 80's and I cannot count the number of cars I appraised over the years. I stole all the Lexus and I really stole the Caravan. The owner was stuck in Canada and couldn't come get his Caravan. He had a friend sell it for him and it only had 50K miles on it. It had every option with the good engine the 2.6 ltr Mitsubishi. He just wanted to get rid of him so I showed up with cash and made the deal.

I do miss managing car dealers and I especially miss training sales killers who had no mercy. My guys all made 50k plus their first year in the business which was back in 1986. That was a good years pay back then. I had months making over 10 grand a month when I was a truck manager. The owner decided I should not be making more than the General Sales Manager so of course my pay plan was a adjusted. I had been strictly commission running the truck department and I took Central Dodge from # 35 in the zone of New England all the way to number 3 in only a few short months. They set up a plan where they never believed I could hit those lofty numbers.

Typical car business, they gave me a 50k yearly salary and then 5% of the total net of the sales department. I took a 15k hit in pay but I was still making a killing. If you guys want I can start a thread with some of the funniest shit we ever pulled in the car biz. I have a feeling you wouldn't be able to conceive the shit we pulled. Just let me know if you want some good laughs.
Oh yes. Please start that thread.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Puff nstuff

Welcome to PSF, sir. We look forward to reading more of your 'borring' pipe stories. :thumbs:
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm

What town in Rhode Island are we talking about? Where do you live now?

It is nice to meet you. Welcome aboard.

Do you like the band Yes?
I lived in East Greenwich R.I for a number of years. My businesses were on Bald Hill Rd in Warwick. I moved to Sarasota Florida in 2003. I had a manager running all the daily stuff while I handled new leases and other major decisions. Rhode Island is a bitch to do business in. If you don't have the balls to screw them on taxes and other things, they will put you out of business fairly quickly. I had a great accountant who would let me do al kinds of shady shit and his job was to keep me out of jail. I didn't care about fines or penalties. As it turned out they couldn't even figure out who I was. I was a ghost to the tax man. 20 straight years I paid no sales tax.

I love the band Yes and saw them 6 times starting in 1972 for the Close to The Edge tour. I also love Pink Floyd and saw their last tour in 1994. One of the best shows I have ever seen and I have seen some good ones. I am also a big led zeppelin fan.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes from the rest of you guys, it is appreciated.
Harris