Oh hellfire ! ..

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:55 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 pm
ncrobb wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:52 pm 154CM is the American version of ATS-34. These are the long time favorite stainless steels used by most of the custom makers I know. It’s my preferred steel as well. It does exactly as Mr Beardsley says - pretty easy to sharpen, holds a good edge and you get the best results by stropping.
Hey man , next we meet up Id appreciate the hell out of a sharpening lesson . Im just not good at it and I even bought a gizmo that I still cant get better than what I can already do , which sucks , lol . As much as I love to carry and use a knife , Id like to be a proficient sharpener one day
Hey , we can smoke Edgeworth Slices and drink OGD114 .. ok , maybe we'll wait till after for the 114 but I need a good occasion to fire up some Slices and I cant think of a better one than getting a sharpening lesson . Ill order pizza , dancing girls and rent a fire truck
Did you say pizza? From that place little place in McCaysville?
Yes ... Kennys . we had it last night and it was the best ever . Got a cannoli too :thumbs:

Seriously , I could use a lesson . I mean I can get a knife sharp enough to do what I need it to do ,,, just not efficiently or timely ... and never razor like

Edgeworth Slice man ... OGD114 .. but if you dont drink , then something really good without alcohol ... freakin pizza
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:07 pm
ncrobb wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:55 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Hey man , next we meet up Id appreciate the hell out of a sharpening lesson . Im just not good at it and I even bought a gizmo that I still cant get better than what I can already do , which sucks , lol . As much as I love to carry and use a knife , Id like to be a proficient sharpener one day
Hey , we can smoke Edgeworth Slices and drink OGD114 .. ok , maybe we'll wait till after for the 114 but I need a good occasion to fire up some Slices and I cant think of a better one than getting a sharpening lesson . Ill order pizza , dancing girls and rent a fire truck
Did you say pizza? From that place little place in McCaysville?
Yes ... Kennys . we had it last night and it was the best ever . Got a cannoli too :thumbs:

Seriously , I could use a lesson . I mean I can get a knife sharp enough to do what I need it to do ,,, just not efficiently or timely ... and never razor like

Edgeworth Slice man ... OGD114 .. but if you dont drink , then something really good without alcohol ... freakin pizza

When I make a new knife, I cheat and sharpen it on the grinder with a worn out 400 grit or 100 micron belt. Then I “strop it” on my buffer. When I’m working on kitchen knives, camp knife or my pocket knives I use an old school three Arkansas set up with course, med and fine stones set in a wooden triangle that sits in a wood cradle. Got it at Smoky Mtn Knife Works 30 yrs ago. I use a little honing oil and rarely use the medium side and have never used course side on a knife. I hold the bevel angle consistently and pretend I’m trying to cut a thin layer off the top of the stone. Not a ton of pressure just a firm grip and a sweeping motion. I’ve never used any sharpening device. I think a lot of times people over think it and expect their blade to be super sharp. Remember the finer that cutting edge is the easier it is to be dulled. A camp knife needs a different edge than an apple slicing pocket knife. You can get an idea of what the blade will take by the shape it’s ground to. “Shaving” sharp - where it’ll shave the hair off your arm is sharp enough for any knife and you should be able to work into that with a fine Arkansas stone and a good leather strop. Now, wood chisels and knives on my leather bench get a more refined edge. I think my stones are 3000, 6000 and 10,000 grit. They are water stones and need to be soaked in clean water. The process is the same, hold the bevel consistent and work slow. Heck if I was still in TN I’d grab a Pipe and some stones and come over. I’m a little further away now.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The only place Ive seen one for sale in over a year or more ... Theyre no longer made . If you wanted one , Id say this is the only place to get a new one ... Their description is so generic . Theres more to this knife and its in the details . I need to make a video of it . Its such a great design

https://www.smkw.com/buck-folding-alpha ... -container
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:34 pm Shit . I didnt get it

Thats ok . I think my birth month Super Boy [ adventure comics ] will be here tomorrow or thursday
For reelz?!?! Did you search that link I sent you? Don't toy with me man!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Puff nstuff

@ncrobb, do you ever work on kitchen knives? I have an old Sabatier 10 inch chef's knife that is pretty jacked up, but it's sentimental for me and I have always wanted to get it put back into use. It's got a broken tip, and the arc of the edge down by the tang end is messed up. Carbon steel, I think.Image
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
ncrobb
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 pm @ncrobb, do you ever work on kitchen knives? I have an old Sabatier 10 inch chef's knife that is pretty jacked up, but it's sentimental for me and I have always wanted to get it put back into use. It's got a broken tip, and the arc of the edge down by the tang end is messed up. Carbon steel, I think.Image
I’ve never made a chef’s knife. I’ve refurbed a number of fixed blades so I’m guessing it would be similar other than the thickness (or “thin-ness”) of the blade. The tip can be reshaped by bringing the spine down gradually. The overall finish can be brought back satin or high polish. That recurve at the ricasso (the heel of the blade) will be the hard part because it looks like it runs into the bolster extension. I’m guessing it’s from years of use and sharpening. Should the cutting edge be straight as it comes back toward the handle or is it suppose to have a little curve/belly?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thats ok . I think my birth month Super Boy [ adventure comics ] will be here tomorrow or thursday
Birth month. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tsal wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:50 am

:lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Puff nstuff

ncrobb wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:30 am
Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 pm @ncrobb, do you ever work on kitchen knives? I have an old Sabatier 10 inch chef's knife that is pretty jacked up, but it's sentimental for me and I have always wanted to get it put back into use. It's got a broken tip, and the arc of the edge down by the tang end is messed up. Carbon steel, I think.Image
I’ve never made a chef’s knife. I’ve refurbed a number of fixed blades so I’m guessing it would be similar other than the thickness (or “thin-ness”) of the blade. The tip can be reshaped by bringing the spine down gradually. The overall finish can be brought back satin or high polish. That recurve at the ricasso (the heel of the blade) will be the hard part because it looks like it runs into the bolster extension. I’m guessing it’s from years of use and sharpening. Should the cutting edge be straight as it comes back toward the handle or is it suppose to have a little curve/belly?
Thanks much for your input and terminology lesson! As to your question at the end, I'm not really sure; perhaps @Chef Benny would know. I would just be happy to have the recurve dead spot eliminated!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:52 am
Tsal wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:50 am

:lol:
Just when you think you've heard it all then along comes this doozy.
The Troll Whisperer