Oh hellfire ! ..

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tsal wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:16 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:52 am
Tsal wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:50 am

Birth month. :lol:
:lol:
Just when you think you've heard it all then along comes this doozy.
Ok , ok ... birth month of the year ,1966 .. lol ya bastid

I did get it but Id have to dig it out to see which one it is
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:43 pm
Tsal wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:16 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:52 am

:lol:
Just when you think you've heard it all then along comes this doozy.
Ok , ok ... birth month of the year ,1966 .. lol ya bastid

I did get it but Id have to dig it out to see which one it is
:lurk: I'll wait...
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 pm @ncrobb, do you ever work on kitchen knives? I have an old Sabatier 10 inch chef's knife that is pretty jacked up, but it's sentimental for me and I have always wanted to get it put back into use. It's got a broken tip, and the arc of the edge down by the tang end is messed up. Carbon steel, I think.Image
Ok .. what you have there is a Carbon Steel Sabatier Chefs knife. I can tell by the brass rivets. It was made in Thiers, France in the mid 60s. It is superior quality, and the curve is fine, just fix the tip, and give it a little mineral oil love. Keep it clean and dry, and keep it away from acidic foods. They will stain the blade.
Great piece!!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I picked this carbon steel knife up years ago for 50¢ at a yard sale. It is by far our best and favorite kitchen knife. I originally read about these Old Hickory knives in a Backwoods magazine. Glad I did!

ncrobb
Founding Member

@Wildcat you can’t beat Old Hickory for performance at that price level. It’s the brand I grew up with and still use. We had one at our house as a kid that had been sharpened so much the blade was only a half inch wide and the handles were all but falling off.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:43 am I picked this carbon steel knife up years ago for 50¢ at a yard sale. It is by far our best and favorite kitchen knife. I originally read about these Old Hickory knives in a Backwoods magazine. Glad I did!

I love a good kitchen knife you get at garage sales or second hand stores! They make great conversion to utility knives ~ handy for all sorts of things!

But those Ontario Knives are just Great
Wildcat
Codger in Training

rekamepip wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:56 am
Wildcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:43 am I picked this carbon steel knife up years ago for 50¢ at a yard sale. It is by far our best and favorite kitchen knife. I originally read about these Old Hickory knives in a Backwoods magazine. Glad I did!

I love a good kitchen knife you get at garage sales or second hand stores! They make great conversion to utility knives ~ handy for all sorts of things!

But those Ontario Knives are just Great
That was my original plan, but sadly my high level of dreaming is above my low level of skills and tools. In the end it worked out and I keep my eyes peeled to this day for another.
ncrobb
Founding Member

For many years people have been taking garage sale Old Hickory butcher knives and regrinding them into Kephart style knives. Heck Old Hickory finally took the hint and released their version of a Kephart.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Wildcat
Codger in Training

ncrobb wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:20 am For many years people have been taking garage sale Old Hickory butcher knives and regrinding them into Kephart style knives. Heck Old Hickory finally took the hint and released their version of a Kephart.
Horace Kephart was an interesting cat and Kephart knives are sweet.

Full disclosure, from what I've read, I don't own one.

The history behind the knife is quite a story. A lot of variations from the original out there now it seems.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I very occasionally go on the hunt for an old cleaver since it's one knife I don't have in my kitchen. One day I may even find one
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin