Founding Member

Welcome! Pull up a chair and enjoy a VaPer
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Middle Earth

Greetings and Salutations from the Springfield Plateau
Great intro
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:58 am Welcome! Pull up a chair and enjoy a VaPer
VaPer is ok by me, so is VaBur, but @Ruffinogold , the Mayor, has strict ordinances regarding the use of “toby “ or “baccy “ or any other cutsey names for the Gift which our Creator has generously bestowed upon us!
FJB
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

And welcome to PSF Rob
FJB
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Rob NC wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:17 pm This is my first day. Here's all the no-nonsense info there is to know about me:

I retired in June from 25 years as a University professor in western Pennsylvania, and moved to NC.

I started my pipe smoking in 1983. (I started cigarettes in 1977 and couldn't get rid of them until 2011)
My dad didn't smoke a pipe but both my grandfathers did. One had Dunhills and smoked Latakia blends, one had Grabows and Kaywoodies and smoked nothing but Velvet.
I moonlighted part time in a tobacco shop in about 85-87, and learned a ton.
I have gone through periods where I was obsessive about pipe maintenance, as though I was preparing them for sale after each smoke - even though I have never sold a pipe.
I have gone through periods where I was that guy who smokes the same tobacco in the same pipe for three days.
Right now I sit somewhere in between.
I have about 60 pipes (it's an accumulation, not a collection.) Some nice (Upshalls, Charatans, one Castello), some "modest" (yay EA Carey), but Petes and Stanwells are the most represented on my racks.
I have never spent the money on a handmade artisan pipe, and probably never will.
Once I could afford to buy what I wanted, I set out to get some of the great "factory" pipes of the 70s and 80s that I fell in love with but were out of my reach at the time.
About 80% of what I smoke are Virginias and Virginia/Periques. And being a complete snob, I despise the portmanteau "Vaper."
I'm looking forward to being here and getting to know some of you. Maybe I'll recognize some of you from the old smokersforums.co.uk?

Rob
So , you're a Vaper smoker :lol:

Im with ya . The term " Baccy " bugs the shit out of me for some reason . Pipe smoking as a hobby , Ive never understood how that works . Its amazing to me that you picked Rob NC , as there is an NCrobb here also . I guess its a N. Carolina thing :D
So , how far west are you . I m a few miles from the extreme west North Carolina , very close to murphy , though on the Georgia side squeezed next to Tennessee

Welcome and glad to have you , Sir :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:58 am Welcome! Pull up a chair and enjoy a VaPer
VaPer is ok by me, so is VaBur, but @Ruffinogold , the Mayor, has strict ordinances regarding the use of “toby “ or “baccy “ or any other cutsey names for the Gift which our Creator has generously bestowed upon us!
And don't forget the elusive VaOr
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:15 pm
And don't forget the elusive VaOr
:lol:
FJB
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

" Cutsey " ... yeah man , we're men here for petes sake ! I mean , why not call tobacco ... Toby ... lol . I swear , its no wonder testosterone levels have gone down 30 percent in 30 years or whatever it is [ something I read recently ] ... cutsey is the culprit . Man buns may not be helping either , though Im not sure
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

No @Ruffinogold No. Man buns are not helping.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
ncrobb
Founding Member

Well @Rob NC , welcome from ncrobb. What part of the state are you in? I’m in Troutman, most of the time.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett