44 Magnum Revolver

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

sisyphus wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:54 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:38 am And not to derail this thread, but I prefer a nice hot .357 over .41. Me me me :lol:
got that base covered already
That is a gorgeous revolver !! :o :shock: :o
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Im boring . Im a 38 loaded +P Taurus guy 4" blued . Ive shot the bigger loads and they are a blast ., though Ive never shot a 41
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:36 am Im boring . Im a 38 loaded +P Taurus guy 4" blued . Ive shot the bigger loads and they are a blast ., though Ive never shot a 41
Think of the .41 Mag as being the Little Red Ridinghood of handgun calibers. It fits perfectly between the LACKING .357 Mag and what can be overpowering, .44 Magnum. It’s “just right”. It’s easy to reload (8.0 gr Unique under most any 195-240 grain lead SWC style bullet), it will take anything two or four legged in North America (properly stoked) and is inherently accurate. What’s not to love?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ronv69
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:59 am I have a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. Something is wrong with the action and I have to send it back to them to make right. When I get it back it goes straight to my FFL to get traded in on a new Smith & Wesson Model 57. I am going all in on 41 magnum, it's my favorite handgun cartridge.

I really love the Ruger Blackhawk, but the Redhawk pales in comparison to S&W IMO. No one can reproduce the S&W double action trigger because no one else is using a leaf spring. Too bad about the Redhawk, it's a beautiful pistol but all it did is make me want another S&W. This is the last thing on my checklist.
I shot a Model 57 a couple of times in 1968. Beautiful gun, great trigger and it really fit my hand with the S&W target grips. But shooting it was like having a cherry bomb go off in my hand. My 44 mag snubbie isn't as bad. I have heard that they load the ammo lighter these days.
God and Texas!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:47 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:36 am Im boring . Im a 38 loaded +P Taurus guy 4" blued . Ive shot the bigger loads and they are a blast ., though Ive never shot a 41
Think of the .41 Mag as being the Little Red Ridinghood of handgun calibers. It fits perfectly between the LACKING .357 Mag and what can be overpowering, .44 Magnum. It’s “just right”. It’s easy to reload (8.0 gr Unique under most any 195-240 grain lead SWC style bullet), it will take anything two or four legged in North America (properly stoked) and is inherently accurate. What’s not to love?
Ha!
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:07 pm
sisyphus wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:59 am I have a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. Something is wrong with the action and I have to send it back to them to make right. When I get it back it goes straight to my FFL to get traded in on a new Smith & Wesson Model 57. I am going all in on 41 magnum, it's my favorite handgun cartridge.

I really love the Ruger Blackhawk, but the Redhawk pales in comparison to S&W IMO. No one can reproduce the S&W double action trigger because no one else is using a leaf spring. Too bad about the Redhawk, it's a beautiful pistol but all it did is make me want another S&W. This is the last thing on my checklist.
I shot a Model 57 a couple of times in 1968. Beautiful gun, great trigger and it really fit my hand with the S&W target grips. But shooting it was like having a cherry bomb go off in my hand. My 44 mag snubbie isn't as bad. I have heard that they load the ammo lighter these days.
Load has a lot to do with felt recoil as does grip shape. The higher your hold the less muzzle flip. I fired a few cylinders through a 4” model 58 with magnas on it many years ago and it bruised the palm of my hand. Oddly enough my OM Blackhawk is a pleasure to shoot even with stuff loads.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
sisyphus
Person of Interest

41 recoils straight back at you instead of wanting to torque up and left
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ronv69
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Load has a lot to do with felt recoil as does grip shape. The higher your hold the less muzzle flip. I fired a few cylinders through a 4” model 58 with magnas on it many years ago and it bruised the palm of my hand. Oddly enough my OM Blackhawk is a pleasure to shoot even with stuff loads.
I believe that the 57 had the Magna grips and 2 shots bruised my palm. When I shoot my 44 snub, it hurts my wrist after 5 or so shots.
God and Texas!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

If I load 19 or more grains of 2400 for 41 it is getting into 44 mag territory, but 18-18.5 is just right but still authoritative
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:00 pm
ncrobb wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:52 pm

I believe that the 57 had the Magna grips and 2 shots bruised my palm. When I shoot my 44 snub, it hurts my wrist after 5 or so shots.
Specials.
I have more of an issue with hammer bite on my 1911 than issues shooting 44mag. I have big hands so the 1911's seem like a small pistol to me, this is partly why I love revolvers.
The Troll Whisperer