Testing draw before lighting

Houjous

only helps if you don't have a filter in it. :lol: I just got in my first pipe and it despite the draw feeling "like sipping on a soda" before lighting it; the bowl didn't stay lit very well. I opened up the pipe to clean it out and there was a filter in it :bang: after I took that out, the same pack draw was wayyy to loose.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You'll get the hang of it...just don't over think it, it's just pipe smoking. Relight as many times as you need too.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

I so rarely have a problem that I don't bother, unless it's a pipe I'm not familiar with.
God and Texas!
Houjous

Ronv69 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:05 pm I so rarely have a problem that I don't bother, unless it's a pipe I'm not familiar with.
Hopefully in a few more try's I'll have a good handle on packing right, I just thought it was a funny moment; had to share.
Middle Earth

The whole packing and draw makes it seem like a science project. Looser at the bottom and more compressed at the top for me. I tamp my way down and if there is moisture I hit it with a pipe cleaner. Relight as needed. I don’t use filters but it’s your deal so whatever on that. I find I do not need an adapter if I go without 6mm filters and use an adapter on the couple of 9mm filter pipes I have. You will figure it out in short order. I see zero value in the “how to pack a pipe” instructions and videos. Just do it.
Houjous

Middle Earth wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:38 pm The whole packing and draw makes it seem like a science project. Looser at the bottom and more compressed at the top for me. I tamp my way down and if there is moisture I hit it with a pipe cleaner. Relight as needed. I don’t use filters but it’s your deal so whatever on that. I find I do not need an adapter if I go without 6mm filters and use an adapter on the couple of 9mm filter pipes I have. You will figure it out in short order. I see zero value in the “how to pack a pipe” instructions and videos. Just do it.
Nope a filter was not part of my plan. I didn't realize it came with one :lol: pulled that sucker out and next bowl was much easier to test while packing. Fair enough about the videos. I tend to over research before doing thing to make sure I'm doing everything as close to right as I can get.
Hawkwood

It's a good idea to take apart a new pipe and check the airway. In addition to surprise filters you can also encounter wood shavings or other clogging material that wasn't removed at the factory. In time you will develop a packing technique that works for you. Happy smoking.
Houjous

Hawkwood wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:45 am It's a good idea to take apart a new pipe and check the airway. In addition to surprise filters you can also encounter wood shavings or other clogging material that wasn't removed at the factory. In time you will develop a packing technique that works for you. Happy smoking.
good tip! I'm sure my pipe collection will grow fast. I'll keep that in mind
Silver
Certified Codger

Hawkwood wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:45 am It's a good idea to take apart a new pipe and check the airway. In addition to surprise filters you can also encounter wood shavings or other clogging material that wasn't removed at the factory. In time you will develop a packing technique that works for you. Happy smoking.
Especially true with corn cobs.
ncrobb
Founding Member

There’s no right or wrong. If we were all together in a room with pipes and blends we were familiar with or some that we’d never seen there would be a myriad of methods going on. Find what works for you.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett