IRC Three Star PRIVATE Blend . Balanced

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Right before I left for Naval training , I was in a non aro or " no flavoring " phase in my pipe smoking . . It was kinda odd . I couldnt stand any flavoring and was limited to blends I smoked , which were mainly burley OTC stuff of the day . Hell , even Carter Hall I could taste a slight soapy floral thing [ which of course I cant now , thankfully ] . Anyway , the old Amphora Brown was just broken or ready rubbed burley and that was my main thing at the time but I wanted some variety .

I find myself at IRC in Chicago . It was a mind blower of a shop , it truly was . I hadnt been in anything like it before . Even earlier in life , while hanging out in NYC or more specifically the Times Square area , which was the pit of hell and I loved it , I had never went into any of the bougie shops there . When I went to NYC , I had my pipe and pouch and was busy doing shit I shouldnt have been doing and didnt even think to find them

Im getting off track ... so , at IRC , a guy working there guides me to try their Private blend . I bought some and split . For the next year or so I smoked the hell out of it . Fast forward to say , 2012 or so and I ordered a pouch ... loved it . But ya know how it goes ... Ya love a lot of things and IRC isnt cheap , especially with shipping . So , I ordered all their blends over a bit of time and didnt repeat Private till just before this past Christmas . Love it

So heres my spin :

Firstly , for anyone that likes a non aro that isnt adorned with flavoring or hadly pg ... say for example ... SP natural or PS Natural Dutch Cavendish , which each have way more pg than this [ and a bit of flavoring ] ... this blend is a few steps up to me . The difference is that there isnt really any steamed out cavendish .. its is less processed .... think Country Doctor but an bit easier cut . If there is any flavoring , its incredibly mild to where it doesnt stand out

Heres the blend components from IRC ..

" A real blender’s masterpiece! Private Blend is a non-aromatic made with a healthy base of Toasted Burley and Bright Virginia Flake. Just the right amount of Turkish, Black Cavendish, Perique and Latakia are then added to produce a blend with complexity and mellowness. "

Back in the day , the word " Balanced " was used pretty often describing a blend . It sounds too vague a word but really isnt . Balanced refers to a blends ability of components creating A flavor or that nothing in the blend is way up front , something in the middle and something at the edges .. where everything is balanced into flavor . At least thats what I always took away from it .

So , heres a picture of what the blend looks like ....

Its on the dry side and is a true mish mash ... flakes , flecks , tiny plugs this that etc ... the colors run the range from bright yellow to black . A handful is also very light in weight

The tin aroma is ... tobacco . You can kind of make out that there's oriental in it ... kinda . Its like .. all things equal one , if that makes sense

I love a balanced blend when in the non aro world . The reason I love and freak out over Germain 1820 is that , especially for an English , its actually balanced . I don't find English blends to be very balanced . To me , they're whatever amount of latakia to Virginia and hopefully oriental to save it . They change throughout the blend depending on what youre drawing on atm , which is usually predominately one thing or another [ just my opinion ] and its why I only smoke a very few English blends

IRC Private uses Perique , Latakia and Oriental as a spice , which in my world is where they really shine

There's nothing to not like about Private , if in the mood for an American Non aro . If I could squeeze out 1 con , it would be that I wish is had one more push of Umph ...

It gets a 9/10 from me . Its a perfect example of its style . Its as smooth as Old Colonial .... and thats saying something

The light up is a breeze and staying lit isnt an issue . Theres no bite and it has a smooth mouthfeel [ which I really dig ] and smoke cool

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

It sounds like a really good blend and something I would be interested in. The only thing I have tried from IRC is their Three Star Blue which gets all the attention it seems. Maybe there is something else they should be pushing along with the aros. There are some Rodney Dangerfield tobaccos out there. They get no respect.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Hmm. I have never had it. I have been thinking about a some of everything tobacco to try and maybe this is it.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lostdog5152 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm It sounds like a really good blend and something I would be interested in. The only thing I have tried from IRC is their Three Star Blue which gets all the attention it seems. Maybe there is something else they should be pushing along with the aros. There are some Rodney Dangerfield tobaccos out there. They get no respect.
I cant really do the Blue , its a bit much . The Red and Green are ok but not my thing .. their " other " blends are the stars for me . Old Colonial is super exceptional ... like what Carter Hall wants to be . Their Bronze is off the chart and oddly enough is black cavendish , their blue and I think their infinity [ non aro ] blend mixed together. For a black cavendish aro ,,, china black fire cured is the best , imho
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

mrpipster wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:02 pm Hmm. I have never had it. I have been thinking about a some of everything tobacco to try and maybe this is it.
Its " strength " is along that of Carter Hall .. if that helps
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:06 pm
Lostdog5152 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm It sounds like a really good blend and something I would be interested in. The only thing I have tried from IRC is their Three Star Blue which gets all the attention it seems. Maybe there is something else they should be pushing along with the aros. There are some Rodney Dangerfield tobaccos out there. They get no respect.
I cant really do the Blue , its a bit much . The Red and Green are ok but not my thing .. their " other " blends are the stars for me . Old Colonial is super exceptional ... like what Carter Hall wants to be . Their Bronze is off the chart and oddly enough is black cavendish , their blue and I think their infinity [ non aro ] blend mixed together. For a black cavendish aro ,,, china black fire cured is the best , imho
Old Colonial is a more flavorful CH then?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

mrpipster wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:43 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:06 pm
Old Colonial is a more flavorful CH then?
Not so much more flavorful ... just better flavored , imho
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

And smoother
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@Ruffinogold said:

" A real blender’s masterpiece! Private Blend is a non-aromatic made with a healthy base of Toasted Burley and Bright Virginia Flake. Just the right amount of Turkish, Black Cavendish, Perique and Latakia are then added to produce a blend with complexity and mellowness. "

Without having the recipe in front of me, add Maryland leaf and you've got the making of Middleton's Walnut.
Anything like it?

Great review!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:53 pm @Ruffinogold said:

Without having the recipe in front of me, add Maryland leaf and you've got the making of Middleton's Walnut.
Anything like it?

Great review!

Its similar in that is an American non aro but it does have a bit of the Sutliff profile . I noticed some brighter notes today in a Savinelli I smoked it in . Its similar but not near a " match "

Put it to ya this way .... If the late Steve Brooks [ master blender ] put this blend out .. every Brooks fanboy would be raving about how he captured an old school American styled blend , which would be completely true because its exactly that . Its similar to Steve Brooks Grandfathers Own , which was one of the most masterful blends I think Ive ever smoked . He really was talented , I just hated his aros because they were so lightly flavored , I figured why bother . It also gave the " purists " a reason to say ... now this is an aromatic .. please , go gee willikers yerself