rekamepip
Codger in Training

Let’s get this party started

Silver
Certified Codger

So, are you shooting for the 31-day set? :bow:
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:20 pm So, are you shooting for the 31-day set? :bow:
Maybe the 12 for the monthly set
- if they would do up some pug sized pipes I’d be on it
Wildcat
Codger in Training

She's here. Fast shipping, well packed and accurate photos. Stem has minor chatter and fit is good. Pipe is comfortable. If I recall, these Alphas are Grabow cousins, correct me if I'm wrong please. It sure looks and feels like an Israeli Grabow cousin.

The rim is in pretty good shape.., with some "character visible." A few minutes with a rag and saliva and it started to clean up. It'll be fine. Right handed smoker torched the the right outside of the bowl though. Again, it's coming off, but I may need to be creative here. We'll see. I'm happy, happy! Under 14 clams to my door, not bad. Stay tuned. Oh, and no green monster, hurray for me!

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
colorduke

Wildcat,that's a nice one.I have 1 similar to that that Tom got for me at the factory.These were made I believe back when Lane owned the factory,they were trying to make a higher end pipe.The Blue Ridge series if I recall.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

colorduke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:44 am Wildcat,that's a nice one.I have 1 similar to that that Tom got for me at the factory.These were made I believe back when Lane owned the factory,they were trying to make a higher end pipe.The Blue Ridge series if I recall.
Spot on CD, Lane era, thanks for jogging my memory.
I have to look at that surface burn a little more. It's not deep. We'll see. Hey, while I have you here, pm me your snail mail address. I lost a lot of contact info during a move. How's the family? Good I hope.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Got me another Doodler but a full size sedan.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:06 am
colorduke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:44 am Wildcat,that's a nice one.I have 1 similar to that that Tom got for me at the factory.These were made I believe back when Lane owned the factory,they were trying to make a higher end pipe.The Blue Ridge series if I recall.
I have to look at that surface burn a little more. It's not deep. We'll see. Hey, while I have you here, pm me your snail mail address. I lost a lot of contact info during a move. How's the family? Good I hope.
Sweet acquisition! Question, is it actually stamped with Israel as the COM? It's my understanding that the Alpha pipes using Greek names were all made in Sparta after gaining rights to the Alpha name after the Shalom factory. The Blue Ridge series was similar in that they used Alpha shapes, mainly or solely the Citation line ones, Tom's favorite. Those were marked only as Blue Ridge though, no Alpha or Grabow stamping.

Edit to add that Blue Ridge also used the Grabow Hillcrest shapes.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:30 pm
Wildcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:06 am
Sweet acquisition! Question, is it actually stamped with Israel as the COM? It's my understanding that the Alpha pipes using Greek names were all made in Sparta after gaining rights to the Alpha name after the Shalom factory. The Blue Ridge series was similar in that they used Alpha shapes, mainly or solely the Citation line ones, Tom's favorite. Those were marked only as Blue Ridge though, no Alpha or Grabow stamping.

Edit to add that Blue Ridge also used the Grabow Hillcrest shapes.
Alpha Sigma in a cursive type font and imported briar in all cap block letters. Nothing about Israel and definitely a Sparta shape. Made in Sparta...? Yeah I'm down with that!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I'm not understanding this. So the Alpha pipes were made by Dr.Grabow?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche