Matches.

Wildcat
Codger in Training

My daughter had us play this game on Christmas Eve, where you had to unwrap small gifts with oven mitts on. We had fun! My son's girlfriend unwrapped a dozen of these dollar store matches and traded me half for candy I had unwrapped. When my wife started eyeballing them for her candles, I called in some protection.

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

ncrobb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:20 pm
Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:30 pm
ncrobb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:13 pm B&M matches are awesome.

Yes, I refill the boxes with Diamond brand (it’s the only kind I can find) and yes, they are too long so I cut them down with side cutters (politically incorrect term for this type of pliers withheld).
Dykes?
🙄 You had to go there. Best thing about this place is I don’t have to attend sensitivity training.
Thats good. I'm not sensative and too old to learn.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I like matches but seldom use them. The Dollar Store made in China variaty is all I can find around here. A far cry in quality from the old strike anywhere kind I was so familiar with in bygone days. Its Zippo for me with Bics as a backup these days. Matches are a very distant third.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

When I smoked indoors I really enjoyed using matches. There’s nothing better than lighting a pipe with a match.

Since I mainly smoke outside now its always my Zippo.
Riff89

Went to see my grandmother today and she had a big box of Ohio blue tips in the kitchen.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

mrpipster wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:38 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:30 pm Alright. I have looked through the first three pages of the archives under 'Pipe Accessories' and and there is no talk about matches, or about Zippos either, for that matter. What the heck is this forum coming to? Are we becoming a crew of pantywaists? I know we have discussed this at length in the past but is seems we need to get back to our roots.

Let me tell you why.

I have misplaced my Zippo so I went to Terranova's Supermarket and bought a box of wooden matches. You know the kind. They are some no-name brand the size that you use to light a pilot light. I have been using them to light pipes and cigars.

I am going to tell you what I think whether you want to know or not. I like these wooden matches. I miss my Zippo (made in America) because I am so used to it that it is an extension of my hand, but there is nothing wrong with these wood matches. It hasn't been windy. You can trust a wood match the way you can trust a wooden Indian. Ask how.

There are 32 matches in a box. I am about halfway through my first one. So far, no complaints. I like them. I want to find my Zippo but I'm not in any particular rush. Good things come to those who wait. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy these matches. I'm going to buy another box of 32 tomorrow to stock up.
Are they strike anywhere though? Most likely not.
They are neither strike anywhere or weatherproof. I don't find a need to be able to strike a match anywhere to light a cigar under every possible condition.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:25 pm
Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:33 pm Here we go again with the matches.
If anyone ever asks me if I have a match I’m gonna say, “Yeah, your face and my dog’s butt.”

I can’t wait!
That line is a dad joke. A lovable classic.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 pm
Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:30 pm

Dykes?
🙄 You had to go there. Best thing about this place is I don’t have to attend sensitivity training.
:lol:
I could have said Dick Van Dyke.
Not everyone lives the sheltered life you do. Some of us live in the 21st century.

I've got a match for you. It's non-binary.

I'm going to say that because I don't want to derail my own thread.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I get a box of ten when I go to https://www.johndenglertobacconist.com
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Citizen B wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:03 pm
Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 pm

:lol:
I could have said Dick Van Dyke.
Not everyone lives the sheltered life you do. Some of us live in the 21st century.

I've got a match for you. It's non-binary.

I'm going to say that because I don't want to derail my own thread.
From now on I will be referring to those ladies as side cutters.
The Troll Whisperer