Matching Father and Son Glocks

ncrobb
Founding Member

Like riff I have a 23. It has never failed to go bang no matter what I feed it. It’s ugly as homemade sin but it works. I also am a 1911 fan. Never had an issue with any of mine that wasn’t a result of something I did. I remain, however, a revolver man. My uncle was the armorer for his department and swore by Glocks. I’m glad you guys like them and have a say to celebrate.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
ironclad

I have a Glock 21 SF. Personally, I think Glocks work well because they are less complex. The safety is on the end of the trigger and it is easy to break down, clean, and reassemble. The trigger is good and mine, at least, is accurate. However, it has no style--frankly, its ugly--and the double stack sometimes comes across like you are holding a soda can (the SF is much better and you keep the double stack capacity).
Mischief managed.
Ronv69
Founding Member

I've had 6 or 7 1911 pistols in my life and never had a problem with any of them. I don't need anything more than 100%.
God and Texas!
Rob72

😁 If you drop in a Vickers(or Apex, but$$) flat trigger and a Ghost Rocket connector, your 1911s will be weeping in the corner.

I like 1911s, but they don't handle being dropped and rolled on nearly as well as Glock. Pricey to fix, unless you 'smith your own. Stock GI models fair better, but losing an extended safety removes a good bit of the improved functionality.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I have never seen a 1911 or a Glock ran over but I have rolled around with a 1911 quite a lot in my younger days. I don't imagine either would fare well under the treads of a Russian tank.1911's have three safeties. Cocked and locked in a thumb break holster with the leather between the hammer and firing pin with safety engaged is as safe or safer than any pistol out there. Its also fast and readily accessible. Comes to hand instantly with grip safety automatically depressed and the thumb safety right at your thumb. I cant picture anybody not being able to instantly reach the safety unless their thumb is missing. Reliability issues usually come from all the bells and whistles added trying to make a completely reliable pistol even more so. Stock 1911 with tested magazines and hardball ammo and you can sleep safe and go anywhere. I use a thumb break forward canted pancake holster and a leather thumb break shoulder holster when in my car or truck on trips. If you are looking for something to hide in your drawers this ain't it, but it is concealable. For reliability and stopping power it is more than adequate. (.45 ACP of course). Guess you can tell I like 1911's........a lot. My second choice would be the Browning Hi-Power if I had to use a 9mm for some reason. I like them too, but I'm sold on the 1911. Too old to change my mind now. Especially seeing as how I'm right of course!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Lostdog5152 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:17 am I cant picture anybody not being able to instantly reach the safety unless their thumb is missing.
yeah but CZs and Sigs with decockers, that pistol is ready to roll out of the holster with no extra step. I am a big fan of DA/SA with decocker, and I suppose a Glock is similar because you have to pull the trigger to complete charging the striker. I really dislike manual safeties on handguns.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I guess its all in what you are used to. There are some great pistol designs out there and I am not denigrating them one bit. I have been familiar with the 1911 since i was old enough to fire a pistol. I suppose it has been a part of my life in a way. My father was a 1911 fan and some of it rubbed off evidently. You should rely on what you are familiar and confident with and the 1911 does it all for me. But then, thats just me. If another pistol scratches the itch then by all means you should have that pistol. I would love to own and try all of them if I could afford it as I love guns. Most probably I would stick to the 1911 though.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I used to do a lot of target shooting in my youth. Now I dont even own a firearm. I would really like to get a AR though. Who makes good AR's nowadays?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

mrpipster wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:07 pm I used to do a lot of target shooting in my youth. Now I dont even own a firearm. I would really like to get a AR though. Who makes good AR's nowadays?
Save coin and build your own. You can get the cream of the crop and know the rifle top to bottom from the start.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Rob72 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:20 am 😁 If you drop in a Vickers(or Apex, but$$) flat trigger and a Ghost Rocket connector, your 1911s will be weeping in the corner.

I like 1911s, but they don't handle being dropped and rolled on nearly as well as Glock. Pricey to fix, unless you 'smith your own. Stock GI models fair better, but losing an extended safety removes a good bit of the improved functionality.
I smith my own. I also don't date ugly Austrian chicks. Never dropped one.
God and Texas!