Some insight needed on retirement

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:16 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:49 pm
Citizen B wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:36 pm

I know this feeling. It is the worst, second-guessing what is going to happen.

Things always work out for the best one way or the other. Be careful what you wish for. If something doesn't happen today, it is for a reason. Something better will happen tomorrow.

You and I are in similar boats. It will all work out in the end. Patience and faith are both virtues.
Just because something has been said before, ad infinitum, doesn't make it any less true.
Thanks brother . It's got me a bit on edge for sure
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The Dow took a dump today
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:07 pm The Dow took a dump today
Let’s go Brandon!

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Yesterday I was up 1250, down 2600 today down 9k so far in this current crisis.
FJB.
God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Can't hit like
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:16 pm
Can't hit like
Two weeks ago ... the bubble busted here , so I find out the last couple days . My luck . Values are holding but activity is way down . I think Ive missed it , we'll see . Worst case , I stay and do what I do until the coming shit show drops and rebounds in God knows how many years ... then ill retire
I am so kicking myself in the ass right now but theres still a chance

Is it just me , because it could be as I have little to no faith about our current direction ... but doesnt it seem and feel like we're about to nose dive again , like back in 06 or 07 , whenever the hell the last one was that took a decade to pull out of ? It's like I hear the ticking of an old clock slowing down . I sense another total shit show and I hope im wrong .
Imho .. the one thing you dont want right now is debt . If you have it and can lose it ... lose it . Its a hell of a lot easier to coast through a shit decade without debt
Middle Earth

Houses and property sell in the best and worst of times. So Inwould not be discouraged.
I bet Florida is still red-hot but as I recall that is not your plan. Hopefully your destination market is at par with your market and it is a wash
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:04 pm
Wildcat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:16 pm
Can't hit like
Two weeks ago ... the bubble busted here , so I find out the last couple days . My luck . Values are holding but activity is way down . I think Ive missed it , we'll see . Worst case , I stay and do what I do until the coming shit show drops and rebounds in God knows how many years ... then ill retire
I am so kicking myself in the ass right now but theres still a chance

Is it just me , because it could be as I have little to no faith about our current direction ... but doesnt it seem and feel like we're about to nose dive again , like back in 06 or 07 , whenever the hell the last one was that took a decade to pull out of ? It's like I hear the ticking of an old clock slowing down . I sense another total shit show and I hope im wrong .
Imho .. the one thing you dont want right now is debt . If you have it and can lose it ... lose it . Its a hell of a lot easier to coast through a shit decade without debt
Nobody ever lost money taking a profit, no matter how small.

It is a moment in time. Assess what is happening around you, what your strengths are, what your weaknesses are. Make the best decision you can. There is no wrong decision in these matters because no one knows what the future will hold.

Take it from someone who drifts through life. Some opportunity always crops up to be harvested if you keep your eyes open. When you were a pipe shop owner in the 80s (or, whenever it was) did you imagine you'd be doing what you are doing now? No.

I know I speak in cliches and platitudes because I don't know your situation. I need a broad brush to paint a picture of what life is like in my experience, which, God knows, is very different from yours and your situation.

You will make the right decision. If you don't, you'll never know because the die will have already been cast. Then you will deal with tomorrow. It is always something.

Stay conservative unless you have an opportunity you can't pass up. Don't do something because you think you have to. Do something because you think it is the right move.

With a handshake,
-MK
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

As you know, @Ruffinogold , I am not retired even though everyone thinks I am. It is the best of both worlds.

I came to New Orleans with no job, no connections, and, really, no knowledge of the city (it was 5 years after Katrina). I had some money in my pocket, and I found an opportunity. It has been the good life ever since. I am not raising three boys, though. That is where your main responsibility lies, with them and with Mrs. Ruff, not with your retirement. You will do what is best for them because that job is not over yet.

I am adding this because that is where yours and my main difference is. I have much more freedom with just me and Mrs. King to take care of. My son is fully grown and on his own. I am adding this because I find it food for thought, and, to acknowledge that I know I am not in your shoes. I am always happy to discuss this, however.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

A really nice piece of property in a scenic area is not subject to the same market forces as a home in a subdivision in a city.
God and Texas!