Some insight needed on retirement

ncrobb
Founding Member

I think if you go couch potato you are doomed. The trick is to stay busy with your hands and your mind. After my dad retired from his “job” and turned his attention fully to the farm his health improved.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Wildcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:05 pm My father in law retired at 62. Delivered freight for Roadway. When he retired he laid on the couch, started watching old westerns and was going to the doctor's office within the year. My advice, whatever you do, don't stop moving and don't stop having purpose in life.

Thanks to the recession, foreclosure and bankruptcy, my wife and I will never be able to retire. Based on what I said above, it won't be all that bad and we're okay with it. Give us today our daily bread.
Sorry that happened to you folks.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Im going to play a lot of guitar when I do ... thats a given
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:29 pm
Wildcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:05 pm My father in law retired at 62. Delivered freight for Roadway. When he retired he laid on the couch, started watching old westerns and was going to the doctor's office within the year. My advice, whatever you do, don't stop moving and don't stop having purpose in life.

Thanks to the recession, foreclosure and bankruptcy, my wife and I will never be able to retire. Based on what I said above, it won't be all that bad and we're okay with it. Give us today our daily bread.
Sorry that happened to you folks.
Thanks man, I appreciate it and you.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I am neither wealthy nor retired, though most people think I am both. I just turned 56. My profession is such that I make enough to get by and everyone thinks I am wealthy and retired because I have free time when everyone else is working. It is true that I am a man of leisure in that I lounge about much of my day, so much so that it is hard to tell when I am working and when I am not. I work in public all the time, for instance. Few people know this.

What I do is no way to get rich but it isn't particularly taxing and I get to spend most of my time doing what I enjoy doing. I live a very integrated life. My free time is business and my work time is creative play for the most part. It is a matter of striking a balance between the two. I could do this forever. I am not going to. I am eventually going to slow down and cash out, but only if it makes business sense. This is what I do. I cannot imagine doing something else anymore. I have worked for myself too long. My business is part of me. I will get by without it when it is time to cash out but that time isn't now. I am not thinking about crossing that bridge now. I can do this into my 70s.

As long as you can pay the bills and be a contributing member of society, what else are you working for? You are raising your boys to be men. If you called in a different career move, which, really, is a life move, you will make the right decision. Wildcat is right: Give us this day our daily bread.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I'm 68 and not certain what I want to do when I grow up. I will reassess retirement at 70 and with purpose not financially.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I "retired" as a classroom teacher and sometime jr. administrator after 32 years in 2013. The last 5 years of that I was a part-time parish priest. Then I started working as a full-time parish priest in 2013. The Episcopal church makes you officially retire at 72. You can still work part-time after that, but you have to start collecting pension and can't earn over a certain amount per year. I feel pretty spry and have lots of energy, so I intend to go the distance if health holds out, etc.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Hmmm .. the more I think about it and listening to you guys , lol , Im veering toward becoming a deviant :twisted:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ironclad

Now I fight ninjas. When I retire, I plan on fighting retired ninjas.
Mischief managed.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I retired at 50. I can stay busier than a one armed paperhanger or I can loaf around. I can be inside or outside. I can go out or I can stay home. Best of all is the totally unrestricted smoking. Being retired is super great and recommend it for anyone and everyone.

ps Usually I choose to loaf around :lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!