My new humidor

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:34 am
Tsal wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:28 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:49 am So I had these grand ideas of building a humidor (and one day that may happen) I keep acquiring more cigars and outgrowing the Tupperware type containers. Happened to have an extra small ridgid organizer box that I've only ever used to carry a nice set of chisels and other finer woodworking tools. As you can see it has a full rubber seal and very positive latches to keep it closed up tight. For less than $40 it should be a big win
ImageImage
I wonder if the moisture inside of plastic would effect the taste? Great idea!
I have been storing my stogies in various plastic food containers for a while now and haven't noticed any flavor issues. I know food vs toolbox but plastic is plastic in my world
Just curious... I guess if the cigars are not picking up any aftertaste then why not.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:36 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:13 am
mrpipster wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:55 am They get hard.
So something to keep checking on then. Okay. @sisyphus I have a small lunchbox style cooler. Good place to start I suppose. Are there different sizes of these packets that should be considered for different size humidors?
They do come in various sizes. If you're browsing them on Amazon or whatever the listing should state the packet size in grams
Smaller container, smaller packet. I'm assuming you can over hydrate if packet is too large for container?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:45 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:36 am

So something to keep checking on then. Okay. @sisyphus I have a small lunchbox style cooler. Good place to start I suppose. Are there different sizes of these packets that should be considered for different size humidors?
They do come in various sizes. If you're browsing them on Amazon or whatever the listing should state the packet size in grams
Smaller container, smaller packet. I'm assuming you can over hydrate if packet is too large for container?
Technically not. Obviously a tiny packet will be used up in a flash but a larger pack should just last longer at it's rated humidity level. No actual experience so guinea pig that for us would you please? :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
sisyphus
Person of Interest

mrpipster wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:55 am They get hard.
I only use RH beads conditioned to 65%RH
I don't have experience with anything else.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:43 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:34 am
Tsal wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:28 am

I wonder if the moisture inside of plastic would effect the taste? Great idea!
I have been storing my stogies in various plastic food containers for a while now and haven't noticed any flavor issues. I know food vs toolbox but plastic is plastic in my world
Just curious... I guess if the cigars are not picking up any aftertaste then why not.
There are different plastics “triangle” number ratings some rated for food grade or chemical products
How long it would take for humidity to start causing breakdown leading to plastics leaching in stored products is the question
For instance the plastic tubs for Folgers coffee is rated at HDPE number 2. I had looked this up before in the past but don’t remember the specifics of each
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Hey @Wildcat how many cigars do you have?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:44 pm Hey @Wildcat how many cigars do you have?
Not alot really. Sitting on about 25 each of King Edward Imperial and Phillies Titans left iver since the tail end of summer/early fall. I dip in less during winter and they are getting dry, so it's time to do something.

I've asked before and I'm asking again and I already know the answer 🤣 but fo machine mades, leave them in the cellophane even in a humidor correct? The humidity, if you will, still is effective correct?
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

You dont HAVE to put machine mades in a humidor. The cello thing is your choice. If they come that way I keep them that way.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:45 pm You dont HAVE to put machine mades in a humidor. The cello thing is your choice. If they come that way I keep them that way.
These need some humidification IMO. Also these are all HTL wrappers, not sure if that makes a difference either. I normally buy smaller quantities and burn through them (thus my humidor ignorance) but I couldn't pass up a sale on boxes of 50. And as was mentioned earlier, with prices rising, I'd like to stay ahead.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:03 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:47 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:24 am

Talk to me about these Boveda packs or similar etc.
https://www.cigarbid.com/a/boveda-humid ... s/4190980/

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/boveda-humidor-bags/4191035/
Do you open the paper pouch? Are they reusable? I know I can look it up myself, but as @Citizen B might say, where's the fun in that?!!
Now you're gettin' smart. :king:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.